iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks sharpener

Started by irvi00, August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Did one about two weeks ago that I remembered about just before it that far but it was pretty close. I got distracted while unloading some tile and sliced the side of my finger of on a broken one. Wear gloves people.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Percy

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 20, 2017, 07:57:36 AM
Here's a very special grind profile I developed using the CBN but I'm sure the Cooks would make it also. It took about 2 hours to make it. I think it will work great sawing popsicle sticks from balsa wood. 

Actually, this is what you get when the auto shut off mechanism doesn't function, the dog distracts me, I leave for awhile, get busy doing something else, and my wife later comes in saying "the sharpener is running but nothing is happening" :D :D

I have a very similar profile on one of my blades.......Cell phone rang and I didnt put the magnet on.....and got busy.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

LeeB

Back to the sharpener and away from the flattening. Has anyone else noticed that the cooks sharpener is actually at ~8*, or is this just unique to my unit? Has anyone corrected theirs to 7*? Up til now I have been using WM 9/29 blades but am considering switching to 7* blades. All the cams I have have been altered so are no longer true to any manufacturers profile any longer any way. I plan on getting a new cam and would like to possibly try the Kasco 7* blades. Are there any Kasco and WM 7* profiles that are close enough to the same that there would not be a huge difference in the profile? Will the fact that my machine is actually 8* make a lot of difference?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

YellowHammer

The Cooks bands are stock 8°, so mine had an 8°, 10° and 12° hole from the factory.  I don't know if it made much of a difference but I modified both my sharpener and cams to match both angle and profile of the WM bands.  I don't know about the Kasco, I never sharpened them. 

Since mine had holes at 8° And 10° I bisected the hole with a caliper and drilled and tapped the hole at 9°.  I also added a hole at 7° and 4°.  I could never get the stock Cooks or WM cam profiles to match up too well, so bought new cams and hand ground them to almost, within a few thousandths, to exactly match each blade profile.  I never did get around to matching the Turbos.

Richard, at Cutting Edge, also sold me a cam, as well as some simple and effective angle adjustment and confirmation plates for setting and checking the angle.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

I talked to Richard about the adjustments when at one of the sawing events at Jake's but have since forgotten all the great advice he gave me. Should have recorded it. Guess I will drill and tap a few holes on my setter too and order a new cam from Richard. I assume he does make them for drag sharpeners as well as CBN types? Like you, I never found the ones from Cooks or WM to be quite right, hence all of the ones I have are now modified and mostly not well done.  ::)

bandmiller2

It would take a real sharp dude to tell the difference between a 7 and 8 ground band, its just not much. The cats claw has the motor and arbor that pivots, shoulder bolts are screwed into holes and they rest on the frame to get hook angles. The holes make it handy but the assembly is also clamped and can be clamped between bolt holes. I would check you bands, with an accurate protractor head, no matter what the machines dial or holes say, one or two degrees taint much. Sharp is much more important than a degree or two. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I agree with Frank!

I have changed hook angle a few times by just clamping the grinder "in-between" the predrilled holes!

It works, but the outcome might not be 100% perfect, but within a few percentages!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

This is true Frank and I never worried about the 1 degree before. I do need to get another cam or two though. I have a half dozen or so but all are modified and experimented on and don't come close to matching any profiles on a new blade.

Deese

I ordered a box of 4° Kasko blades, 4° and 7° adjustment plates/gauges, and a 4° cam from Richard "Cutting Edge".
Guys, Cutting Edge has totally changed my experience sharpening blades. I simply put the 4° gauge where the blade would normally go, lower the head until it sits flat on top of the gauge, then clamp it tightly. I haven't drilled any holes.

And the cam from Cutting Edge works like a charm. It matches the blade profile as close to perfect as you can possibly get. I was amazed. I've NEVER had a cam that is this precise.

I called and told him that I wanted a 7° cam, and he told me that it wasn't necessary, that I can use that same cam for the Kasko 7° with a separate grind rock that matches that blade profile.

I will say this, my experience dealing with Cutting Edge has been fantastic. He has my business. I would strongly consider giving him a chance with literally any of your sharpening needs. I used to dread sharpening blades. Now it's almost a pleasure. Almost.  :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

LeeB

Where are you getting your wheels from Deese and what kind are you using?

Pabene

I think it is important to check the hook angle after the blade is sharpened. If that kind of check would be performed in a grind shop you would use a "profile projector" or a microscope. It is hard to see the real angle with simpler measuring tools. The reason to check the angle in a proper way is that the wheel in the ginder has a wear, as increases for every sharped blade. The wheel wear results in a hook angle as goes in the direction from, let say 10° to 6°. What I have discovered is that you can not trust the scale or hole on your grinder. The hook angle is also the angle for the chest surface, closest to the tip/edge. I have seen more than one grinder rigged for 10° hook angle and caused by wheel wear the grinding result was 7°.

Deese

Quote from: LeeB on September 21, 2017, 12:21:38 PM

I got scolded for not using the ruby red grind rocks. I've got 2 blue rocks left, then going red.
Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

Quote from: Deese on September 21, 2017, 01:06:37 PM
Quote from: LeeB on September 21, 2017, 12:21:38 PM

I got scolded for not using the ruby red grind rocks. I've got 2 blue rocks left, then going red.
Red ruby is the way to go.  Much longer life and more stable profile.  Cooks sent me some with their logo and they also sent me some from Norton, which is a very well known and common source of grind rocks. 
Richard sent me an experimental grind rock that was red, but was trick, and lasted an unusually long time.  It was a good one and was his secret recipe. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Chuck White

Anyone have a website location for NORTON?

I've googled Norton several times and can't get away from Norton Antivirus!

I'm looking for a source closer to me to order grind rocks, from Alabama, shipping is almost the same as the purchase price for grind rocks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Deese

YH- I've always used the 3/8" thick rock. I just went to Cook's website and it appears that the only size Ruby they have is the 1/4" thick rock. That's 1/8" thinner than what I'm used to. Is that what you normally use?  Just make an extra pass or two and extending the pushing "fork" further to compensate for the 1/8" loss in thickness? Shouldn't matter, right?
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I'm overthinking it  smiley_dizzy. Of course it won't matter. Answered my own question.  :D
I'm about to order 2 of them right now.
Cooks AE4P Edger

bandmiller2

Brother Pabene speakth the truth, one or two degrees is mighty small to compare. The only way I've been able to do it accurately is to use a machinists protractor with a white paper behind the band and leave a slight gap between the protractor and tooth face. Frank C.

4x4American

I get the ruby ones from suffolk saw
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Chuck, google Norton abrasives, their headquarters is in Worcester Ma. I'am not sure if those wheels are a standard catalog item or proprietary, made on special order. Frank C.

Chuck White

barbender

I ordered a ruby and blue replacement stone from Cook's last year. The problem is, I put them somewhere "safe" and now I can't find them😊 I'll have to order more, then they'll turn up🙄
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I hate it when that happens! ;)
YellowHammerisms:

drobertson

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2017, 09:56:17 PM
I ordered a ruby and blue replacement stone from Cook's last year. The problem is, I put them somewhere "safe" and now I can't find them😊 I'll have to order more, then they'll turn up🙄
:D :D  I bet they are on the shelf tucked into that cubby hole, a nice safe spot,, 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

Just trying to figure out which cubby hole😊 The stone on my Cook's is getting pretty small, I either need to find the replacements or order more😊
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

Bender, the wheels are likely hanging on a nail with another wheel or small sawblade over them. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!