iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soaking chainsaw chains?

Started by ken, November 18, 2001, 12:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken

I have about a dozen chains for each one of my 3 saws. I only file them on the job when it's lunch or break time, otherwise I just grab another that's ready to go (new or resharpened) and slap it on.

Using this approach, I find I normally have about a dozen chains that are sharpened and waiting to go, but sometimes a few of them are a little stiff for various reasons.

Does anyone out there keep re- sharpened blades in some sort of solution like "Liquid Wrench" (which you can buy in bulk) or something else to keep them nice and loose, etc?

:P

Ken

Tom

ken, I have kept them in a coffee can covering them with diesel oil and sealing the can with the supplied plastic top.  It works real good but may have problems in super cold weather where diesel gels.  I also have to be in one of my rare organized moods.  Usually I just run around willy nilly, bouncing off of walls and wondering where I left that chain I just sharpened,

Timber_Tramp

Hi Ken, it has been my experience that superficial rust on a chain is of little or no consequence. Once the chain that is kinked with rust rips around the bar at 60 ft/ sec., in the wood or out of the cut while being bathed in bar lube, no self respecting rust will be left. In fact, the wood fibre cleans it up just as new in a few seconds. This isnt part of the program however, but rather just another trick when you get in a jam an have to sift thru the bark and debris in the back of your pickup to kind that discarded rocked out chain.
 My general program is to gently tickle the cutters at least every tank of fuel with a 13/64 round file, (3/8 pitch Stihl RS) , or 7/32 file with LG,wether it needs it or not. If the cut isnt exactly true after lowering depth gauges with Carlton File-o-Plate, I close the bar rails, then open them again with a Stihl bar groove opener to correct tolerances. More importantly, I change the rim sprocket when it appears at all dimpled.
 Most saw users cannot be bothered with this kind of maintainance, let alone know about it, but once learned you will cut a lot more wood than most.
 John

ken

I typically "tickle" the the cutters at every tankfull too, if I'm not in a "hurry up" mode becuse I'm charging by the hour and the client is standing there watching me. In this mode, I feel it's more important for the client to see that I'm not wasting any time, so I generally grab either a resharpened or new chain and slap it on a quickewr than filing the cutters. Also, when in this mode, I try to time filing for called and recognizable breaks like lunch, etc and do the filing then so the client doesn't get upset. That's just the way I prefer to do it.

I think all clients can understand that a chain can be dulled and that something should be done to resolve it, and I also find there is never a grumble or funny look when change the chain but I've actually had some clients ask me if I could afford more than one chain, since I do this for a living, when they see filing.

ken

Tom,

I put about 10 chains for my # 2 saw (the one I use the most) into coffee cans as you suggested and added about an ounce of liquid wrench to each as a trial. Thanks for the tip, I keep you posted on the results.

Ken

Timber_Tramp

Hi There, the nice thing about the wood business is that no two people do things alike, this way we have lots of opertunity to learn new tricks from others.
 I always file every chance I get, this way I have learned to file a wood dull chain in less than 90 sec.after practicing for 20 years now. However, the advantage to changing chains when at all dull, is one can clean and flip the bar at the same time.
 John

Gordon

I keep my sharpened chains in nice tightly bound knots. Well actually I don't try to but it just happens at times. ;D

On the serious side I do spray some light oil on the chain after sharpening. More so on my long chains that I don't use as often. You will find that some chain just is tighter by nature and after running it will free right up.

On the filing side of it, it takes me a few minutes to run down the chain with a file and have never had a customer question me about it. Tramp is pretty quick with that file I'd say, but that's experience talking and practice makes perfect and quicker as well.

But if I did have a customer ask me, just reply that a sharp saw cuts quicker and cleaner so this down time is saving you money not costing you money, it's required maintenance to do the job correctly. At times it not only the job to cut the wood but to educate the customer as well.  ;)

But for the special chain that's been lost under your truck tool box for a month in the rain and sawdust of your truck bed. Soaking might not be a bad idea.  :D    You know the one, darn I knew that darn thing was somewhere.  >:(

Gordon

Timber_Tramp

Hi Gordon, it reminds me of when I worked with a firewood crew in the 80's and got these funny looks and comments every time I filed up while refueling, as though an act of filing was an indication of inexperience of hitting another rock.
 I am always amazed at how few so called pro's or semi pro's wont file regularily enough, but much prefer to think that blocking wood was a shear act of masculinity or strength, however, one quick look of their saw always reveals a ratted out, stretched chain, hammered sprocket and chipped and burned bar that is better used for cutting tobogan shaped lumber than making lightning fast crosscuts.
 I try to view a saw as a fine cutting tool as opossed to a glorified cutt-off saw.
 In the defense of all saw users, it takes a long, long time to become proficient with a saw enough to make your living, but no one is alone out there, as there are many on the net here that will freely offer up what they know about saws and their use.
 John Lambert

Bruce Hopf

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this website, and I know that this is an old thread. I have read what a lot of you guys recommend to keep your extra chains from rusting.
When I always go to the bush, here on my farm, I always have a few extra chains. I always sharpen my chains in the basement, and when they are dull, I change them, instead of trying to sharpen them with a file in the bush. I was never good free handed filing.
Presently, what I do is I Periclean my chains with Oven Cleaner, that way the grinding wheel for my bench chain grinder won't get gummed up. Once they are sharpened, I throw them in a tub of bar oil, and let them soak for a little while. After I take them and I hang them up on a nail, and let the excess oil run off of them, into another tub on the floor.
When I'm ready to use them, or go to the bush, I take them off the nail, put one on the chain saw, and I just take a sheet of news paper, wrap them up individually, fold the ends over and tape up the ends so that paper doesn't unravel, and the chains fall out, and with a marker, I write on the paper to what size of chains the are.
When I change the chain, I just take it out of the newspaper, take the paper, and put it into the bottom of my tool box, and put the dull chain on top of the paper, that way I don't get the sharp, and dull chains mixed up.
I have had chains that have been wrapped up in news paper for over a year inside my tool box, and they are still moist with oil, as the day that I have wrapped them up into into the news paper. No rust what so ever. Thanks. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

GASoline71

I have never soaked a chain... for any reason.  A lot of fuss for nothin'... I'll just leave it at that.   :) :D

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

beenthere

I've never soaked a chain nor had one rust up. But then, I don't clean off the chainbar oil either. I suspect that vleaning off the oil is why the rust forms.

More fuss than I would care to go to, but each has their own way that feels good and right.

Bruce prolly has many more chains in storage at any one time than I do.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

teddy

QuoteIn the defense of all saw users, it takes a long, long time to become proficient with a saw enough to make your living, but no one is alone out there, as there are many on the net here that will freely offer up what they know about saws and their use.
John Lambert

I am in the middle here!
But I know from reading every one elses opinions I have a lot to learn!
I will take the advice and use it! filing and proper chain storage is a must!

Matt

teddy

For rust forming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rust is RUST!
we all have our area were we store are equip.
now what you have.(moisture level) and deal with it accordingly!
I can leave a chain hang for 2-3 weeks in northern Ohio in the summer and it will rust up,
or in the winter it wont rust up till spring!!!!!  ????????????????

Learn and adjust accordingly!
never stop learning!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

MOwoodchopper

If your chains are getting rusty it wont hurt to put them in a can etc with a little oil. As long as they are not to bad they will loosen up and be fine though if you run them. As for all the other stuff, like changing your rim at the first sign of dimples! a waste of time and money, they will cut and fine long after that. As for your chain make sure its sharp ,and check the depth gauges every now and then, if they are set correctly you can sharpen your chain in the field and not worry about depth gauges until you at home. Bar rails dont need to be closed and reopened very rarely, for sure not everytime you cut! If your saw is not cutting straight or not cutting good its prob your sharpening job, the other stuff needs to be addressed way less often.
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

Al_Smith

The only time I've ever soaked a chain was revamping old antiques that had sat in a barn or someplace for 25 years .

A little bath in a can of kerosine for a week limbers them right up .

Meadows Miller

Gday

I soak my chains the first night before i break them then leave them on till ive finnished with them then flip the bar when a new one goes on but the only time the saw gets taken off is for a full service usualy it gets left on for the serv each night and i just blow the rubbish out from around the clutch area  ;) Timber tramp your spot on with your sharpening on each tank its alwas better having the saw running sweet and doing the work for you the works hard enough as it is  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Rocky_J

Chris, there is no 'u' in 'regards'.
:P :-\

Al_Smith

Well there might be .If for example you had to "reguard "something because you didn't guard it well enough the first time .

Kind of like Toms saws .His guarding was lacking as well was he "reguarding "  :D

John Mc

Quote from: Rocky_J on August 08, 2009, 10:16:05 AM

I thought it was an Aussie thing... Like the English do with "colour" vs the American "color"
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

The Canadians write a  little funny too .We write a check,they write a cheque .I wonder if they check their cheque to see if it is correctly made out .

Can you imagine getting a bunch of Brits, Aussies and Yanks together .We would need a translater . :D

If you soak your chain though perhaps it best to check it every so often .If all else fails write a cheque for a new one .

Bruce Hopf

Quote from: beenthere on August 07, 2009, 10:21:36 PM
I've never soaked a chain nor had one rust up. But then, I don't clean off the chainbar oil either. I suspect that vleaning off the oil is why the rust forms.

More fuss than I would care to go to, but each has their own way that feels good and right.

Bruce prolly has many more chains in storage at any one time than I do.  :) :)
I have close to 40 chains hanging up right now in storage. I'm not the kind of guy that likes sharpening the odd chain here and there, and as I said before, I'm no good when it comes to free handed filing. Never was. When I sharpen, I like to do a few at a time. I had 4 chain saws with 16" bars, and I had 10 used ones, along with 8 new ones. Now I use two chain saws with 16" bars, and those 18 chains are in various stages of being sharpened. I have a few that are almost to the point of no more sharpening, and a few that have not seen much sharpening, but are in rotation, with the other chains.
I have a few for 20" chains, a few at 24" chains, and a few various length chains for a few of my mini macs.  Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Meadows Miller

Rocky ill check that one out mate  ;) Its how ive allways spelt it  ;) it might just be me though  ;) :D :D if  that and the smileys are my only problem in all these posts i aint doin too bad i reckon Mate ;) :D :D :D :D 
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 08, 2009, 12:56:27 PM
Well there might be .If for example you had to "reguard "something because you didn't guard it well enough the first time .

Kind of like Toms saws .His guarding was lacking as well was he "reguarding "  :D
Quote from: John Mc on August 08, 2009, 02:32:46 PM

I thought it was an Aussie thing... Like the English do with "colour" vs the American "color"
Quote from: Al_Smith on August 08, 2009, 04:45:42 PM
The Canadians write a  little funny too .We write a check,they write a cheque .I wonder if they check their cheque to see if it is correctly made out .

Can you imagine getting a bunch of Brits, Aussies and Yanks together .We would need a translater . :D

If you soak your chain though perhaps it best to check it every so often .If all else fails write a cheque for a new one .

;) :D :D :D :D :D  I think you can understand anyone just some take longer to translate  ;) :D :Dits funny the amount of variance in the english language from country to country   ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris  ;) ;D

bandmiller2

After I grind a chain I have two big cans one with mineral spirits to clean off grit second with bar&chain oil then they go in a baggie.If your a squared up dude you can write on the baggie what its for but I seldom do.when I file every outher time I remove the chain and bar and clean everything,a bar jammed with dust dosen't oil properly.Most of us ,outher than Tom,would have a snowballs chance in #ell at a spelling bee.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Todd

Seperated by a common language ;D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Ernie

Sorta makes ya feel at little crook or at least a bit grizzley eh chris ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

woodsrunner

Quote from: GASoline71 on August 07, 2009, 09:55:38 PM
I have never soaked a chain... for any reason.  A lot of fuss for nothin'... I'll just leave it at that.   :) :D

Gary

When I saw this thread title, I just had to check it out to make sure! And Gary did not disappoint me!!  ;D

Scott

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Ernie on August 10, 2009, 05:49:41 PM
Sorta makes ya feel at little crook or at least a bit grizzley eh chris ;D

Ernie it wont phase me mate  ;)  :D ;D i never said i was an english major  :D :D
im a jack off all trades and a master of a few  ;) Started working fulltime at 13yo had a cert IIII in building and construction (qualified carpenter)at 18  ;) ;D was the first (and only sofar) selfemployed bloke to get a cert III in timber industry production and management  ;) ;D  (only 6 ppl get this a year and are company mangement ;)) even got offered a 5 year scolarship at melbourne uni from the Head of the CSIRO to become doctor of wood science   ;)  and none of them had a problem with my spelling mate  ;) :D :D :D :D

I just wanna cut Timber  ;) :D :D :D

And Rocky was rite  ;) ive been doing it wrong all this time like the old saying  s@!t happens ;) :D ;D  :D ;D ;)

Regards Chris

Al_Smith

:D Oh no you must be related to that guy from Stanley North Carolina . He could only spell when he wanted to . Which was seldom I might add .

GASoline71

Quote from: woodsrunner on August 10, 2009, 08:23:01 PM
Quote from: GASoline71 on August 07, 2009, 09:55:38 PM

Gary

When I saw this thread title, I just had to check it out to make sure! And Gary did not disappoint me!!  ;D

Scott

Haha!  Thanks mang!

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

SawTroll

If they are stiff - try WD-40 or something like that..... ;)
Information collector.

Magicman

ATF....One of the cheapest/overlooked lubes around..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!