Sponsors:

Trying to identify this tree?

Started by Fmartinconst, November 11, 2018, 09:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fmartinconst

thecfarm

Welcome to te forum.
Any chance you live in MI?
Helps to know what state you are from to help out with what kind of wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Just the color of the wood looks like walnut, but the bark doesn't look like typical walnut. Could be though as there is variation. The two chunks to the left are Ash.  The small diameter piece on the right looks like it could be a maple.  Yes, please tell us what state you are in or put it in your profile so it shows up by your name in each post. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Fmartinconst

Thanks Guys, Im in upstate NY,Rochester.
The bark is white gray,flat with valleys.
I thought maybe BW but the home owner says it is some kind of nut tree.
The leaves are about 4-5" smooth edge,football shape.
Thanks,
Frank

Hewer of Wood

Looks like it could be Butternut. In the walnut family, but lighter color and softer wood. Absolutely beautiful lumber.
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

Fmartinconst

Remle

Quote from: Fmartinconst on November 12, 2018, 06:57:38 AM
Thanks Guys, Im in upstate NY,Rochester.
The bark is white gray,flat with valleys.
I thought maybe BW but the home owner says it is some kind of nut tree.
The leaves are about 4-5" smooth edge,football shape.
Thanks,
Frank
Being that it may be nut tree, would lead me to believe it could be a hickory tree , a kin to the walnut.

mike_belben

See the wire mesh X's to the bark?  That narrows it into hickories, walnut, ash and maybe a few others i dont know.  A leaf, bud or nut would really help get closer.  
Praise The Lord

Frontier_Paul

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hewer of Wood

The flat gray bark, narrow sapwood, tan color, and yellow cambium sure fits Butternut. No pecan in upstate New York that I know of. Seems too dark for cottonwood. Generally the cottonwood in these parts has a more yellow/pale green heartwood. And the bark on larger logs like that tends to be more deeply furrowed. Butternut is also quite soft. Much like Basswood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Skipper11A

Not enough sap wood to be pecan.  Way too dark for Cottonwood.

terrifictimbersllc

Probably could still find some nuts from it, myself I'd look, might be the only way to ever know. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

Id say hickory too.  Pignut, mockernut and bitternut pics on google show some samples with that lighter color buttlog and greenish tight furrow bark on the top wood. 

Hickory has a very tough bark even long after it comes off the tree.  If that loose birdpeck bark wont unwrap and wants to coil right back on its a further nod toward hickory.
Praise The Lord

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

esteadle

Changing my answer. This doesn't look like hickory I've seen before. 
The bark looks similar, but doesn't have the 'sheaves' that hickory usually has. 
Also, the sapwood isn't prominent and white like hickory usually is. 
I think this is Walnut. 

Ask the homeowner if they can describe the nuts. 
If they have 4 segment husks, it could be hickory, but if they are not segmented, I think its Walnut. 

Southside

Based on the OP's location I think it's safe to rule out Loblolly pine and Live oak.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hewer of Wood

I'm still in the Butternut camp. If you tried to stick a pocket knife or something sharp in the end that would help. Butternut is very soft, walnut not quite so much. And hickory, well, we all know about that stuff.

Ron Wenrich

I agree with butternut.  The texture of the wood doesn't look like hickory. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Butternut, it is looking yellow green on the end between bark and wood and it ain't choc. brown. Is light brown, but maybe that is just the light exposure. ;D

Not that great for a yard tree, wind and ice take down the limbs quite easy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bpski

Thank You Sponsors!