iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 330 Pic's

Started by deerguy, April 23, 2012, 07:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerguy

Hi folks,

Just wanted to say thanks to the members who helped along the way with info and web site links for the info I needed while I was re-building my 330.

I've posted some pic's on Pigpen's thread titled 330 Timberjack Skidder if anyone is interested. The rest can be seen in my photo gallery.

Thanks Again !!

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

deerguy

Ok, still trying to figure out this picture posting deal.....gotta be an easier way ????

treefarmer87

GREAT JOB! thats a nice machine :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

deerguy

Thanks Treefarmer87 !!

It was a lot of fun, except for than darn bottom bolt on the starter. I'd like a chat with the design team that came up with that idea ;D......I've tried it both in the bush working and on the road in high gear, and I've only noticed 1 little " clunk " from the centre. Guess that means next winters project will be to split the princess and bore and bush the centre pins. Gotta have something to look forward to  :D

markd

Deerguy, that is one fine job you did there, I've dreamed of having a TJ. and after seeing what you did I really want one. Markd
markd

thecfarm

That paint job sure does shine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerguy

Thanks thecfarm, but dont let the paint job fool ya. It wasnt just a $40 overhaul. We went thru the old girl from rad to chokers, including the 3-53. My old diesel buddy has been a bush mechanic, foreman and mechanical superintendant for one of Northern Ontario's largest forestry outfits before retiring. He grew up on TJ's. He looked after the engine and govenor, while I did all the drive lines, hanger bearings, electrical, charge pump on tranny and hydraulic hoses as needed. Oh, and a starter as well.
The paint was the result of alot of hard work by my sweetheart, and it shows !!!

Regards,

DeerGuy !!

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice looking machine; great job!

Tramp Bushler

Wow ! So thats what mine can look like . That is just beautiful !! Execellent job .
where did u get the paint . ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

deerguy

I looked all over for origional TJ Orange, which on these older machines has a red hint to it. Couldnt find any, and the local paint guys would only mix automotive paint and it was expensive. I really wanted a rust paint, so thats why we primed it first with Tremclad. I was going to leave it primed until I stumbled on Zesty Orange made by Armour Coat. It's not exact, but lots close enough for me !!!!

Tramp Bushler

Tramp Bushler

Deerguy ; does the radator fan pull or push . . What I'm hopeing they pull . There by pushing warm air into the cab . I went and looked at your pics . You did a great job . And the paint job is great too . 

. This is my 330 GP . I'm not sure what the gp stands for . This skidder doesn't have a hood but the guy gave me a hood from an old 404 TJ .It looks like its big enough so I will have to modify it to fit . And I need to get some pipe for the sweeps . . Plus prolly a thousand other things . I've really enjoyed your posting .

deerguy

Tramp Bushler, my fan pushes....I never even thought to check it, but on some old dozers I've run, you could simply loosen the fan belts, remove the fan and reverse it for winter use. Not sure if you can do it on the 3-53 or not. Your's looks like it's all there, so it will be a fun project to get the old girl all buttoned back up and then some fresh paint. I wish I has those rear fenders that you show in your pic, I just measured a set up so I can scrounge up the steel for my son to weld on for me..... My sweeps are square tubing, not pipe like yours, so I'm thinking the pipe will be easier to match up and cheaper too.
As for the GP in your model #, I cant seem to find any reference to that in my manuals or online, so for now we"ll assume it stands for " Great Puller " !!!
As I've stated, I have the 330 parts manual and the 3-53 DD manual, so if you want them let me know.

DG

lumberjack48

Nice looking project you have Tramp Bushler, you'll have get a different fan. It doesn't work to turn it around, i tried it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Tramp Bushler

Thanks Deerguy . Right now I'm semi stuck between my winter logging season and summer work . I got my iron home from the woods and need to get $ coming in before I can go get the skidder . If it was running and stopping I could drive it on the ferry Alaska Marine Highway and come up the Gulf thru Prince William Sound to Valdez then its only about 130 miles to my place over the highway . But its not running so I need to have it trucked up thru BC and the Yukon and around . Costs twice as much .

But I will need the manuals as soon as I can afford them . Soon hopefully .
After seeing lots of other skidders I'm really glad I found this 330 . All winter long I've been climbing up and down , in and out of my Terex loader that I built road , logged and loaded with all winter . 2 steps sure beats 5 steps . Thanks !!

Tramp Bushler

Thanks LumberJack. Where I have to log in the winter  it is nice to have some kind of heat . On my loader the operator seat is basically ontop of the engine so some heat comes up there . Even tho it has a pusher fan . I have a coolant line heater I may be able to find room for . May just need to wear a face mask but will probable put in a bunch of plexiglass windows and windshield as I'm sure lots of fine dry snow is going to blow off the tires and chains .  And at 30 below that gets cold and in the way  :-\

lumberjack48

I always had a piece of Plexiglas for a windshield on the skidder. It keeps snow off your lap and bitter cold out of your face [we wore face mask when needed]. We never shut down because of cold weather, thats what we waited for all year. [ summer logging is for the birds ]

I told the guys, i don't have get a drink, i just suck on my icicles.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SBeange

deerguy,

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

The TJ 330 is indeed a rare breed. I only ever saw one in 30 plus years of being on timberharvesting operations.

How many steering cylinders does it have? And where are they located? Is the cylinder in the front frame or rear (as with Clark's).

Scott

deerguy

Hey Scott,

Apologies for the slow reply... I work in the bearing world, and it's been crazy with plant shutdown/repairs lately!!

The steering cylinder (1) is located in a reverse position in the front half located directly under my right foot. The hydraulics for the steering has a built in relief system with a dash lever that I can throw for high speed road travel. It allows the steering to be a little smoother and not jerky, which really helps on the road !! That doesnt mean i havent almost put 'er in the cactus ( ditch ) a few times when speed outran hydraulics.....

Keith

SBeange

Deerguy,

I never ask all my questions at one time ............ really drags things out!!

Where are the batteries located? and the fuel tank?

I really liked the seat and surround arm rests on the one 330 I encountered and a couple of 360's and a 550. And the easy on / off single step.

Not sure what you meant by the steering cylinder being in a 'reverse position'. Frequently the body of the cylinder with hoses attached is afixed inside the front frame with the rod extending to the rear frame. It's the rod that is seen.

Thanks,

Scott

lumberjack48

I tried using the control lever for the steering on a TF, at full throttle, 4 th gear high range you can't stay on the road [ I know ]

96 logger

hey deerguy, nice tj 330! I have one as well that is a 1970. I need the manuals if you have them and I need help hunting down brake parts for the machine. oh and does yours have a parking brake? ???

ga jones

On that starter deal. The clock position on a detroit starter can be changed to fit the chassis. If that back bolt is impossible to get to its most likely the wrong clock position. Some starters u can't but most u can .if the nose piece has Allen screws holding on it can be changed.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

96 logger

if I could figure out how to post pics, I would love to show you guys my 1970 timberjack 330! tramp bushler, my 330 has the full butt plate too but its not a gp, and I have a shorter arch than deerguy. it appears you have the same set up. what do you have to do to get that beast screamin thru the woods?

thecfarm

Got a camera,not much to it. This may look like alot,but it is not. Just take one step at a time and don't miss one.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!