iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

transplanting oaks

Started by palmerstreeservice, January 30, 2005, 07:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palmerstreeservice

my dad has a large amount of volunteer oaks that are very young to upwords of 10 yrs old.  He would like to transplant some of them however I didn't think that there root system would take after a re-plant.  Is there a good rule on this as to how old you can get away with transplanting or a size of oak and smaller that this can be done.

Kyle Palmer

Texas Ranger

Depends on how you try to transplant them.  Use a Latourno tree spade, and you can plant any of them you referenced.  Use a spade and your stuck with the one or two year olds at best.  Essential to get the root stock, keep it wet, and back in ground as quickly as possible.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

palmerstreeservice

I am not familiar with the Latourno tree spade.  I tried to look it up on the web and was unsucessfull, do you know where I can find one.

Tom

I think Don is taking the opportunity to brag about a texan, R.G. LeTourneau who was responsible for inventing the bulk the heavy equpment used in mining, logging and construction today.  He hailed from Texas, as does Don.  :D

This is a link to the online Letourneau museum

You will find many manufacturers of Tree Spades by Googling Tree Spade Manufacturers.  There are truck mounted, skid steer and tractor mounted models.

Texas Ranger

Yeah, that's him, and you even got the spelling right, which I didn't.  That's what neat about this board, when my mind fades, some one elses, Tom in this case, comes in and finishes my sentence.

When look at his equipment, hold your breath, the price is not for the weak hearted.

I would recommend finding an arborist and seeing if one might have one of the spades for rent, or do the business for you.

Larry

I have transplanted oaks up to 2" in diameter at the ground line with near 100% success.  Used a shovel.  Had to use the tractor loader to plunk out the root ball cause it was to heavy to pick up by hand.  Have transplanted a few up to 3" the same way but I root pruned at the drip line a season ahead.

I think the secret to survival is get them out of the ground and back in before the roots have a chance to dry out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

You got it under control Larry, good luck

SwampDonkey

I've always used a shovel to transplant trees, but trees mainly under 4 feet. I have transplanted larger trees, but dug them out with a tractor bucket, digging in loose, soft soils. I Transplanted a butternut which was 15 feet tall and 4 inches on the but with a tractor but it was growing in soft soil that was easy digging with the tractor bucket. The tree was transplanted in 1987 and has had butternuts for a least 10 years now. The chipmunks and squirrels try to get ahead of me on the harvest. :D I plant them on the woodlot. I have a number of red oak to transplant this spring. I do my tree transplants before the leaves emerge and the ground is soft and wet, 95 % successful. I've planted trees for over 20 years.

Your taking on quite a choir, so good luck with your transplanting. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!