iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Hardwood prices (MIchigan

Started by johnny95, July 21, 2004, 11:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny95

Hi, I'm located in the lower penisula of Michigan and in the lower middle part of the state and my question is can anyone from this area tell me what I could expect from a sealed bid process for about 18,000 board feet of hard maple?   WOuld a $1 or more per board feet be probable?   THanks

dewwood

One dollar up the tree would be a very high figure unless there is a high percentage of veneer in your stand.  Now is a good time to set up a job but I would not try to sell it until closer to fall.  Most company's would not cut it this time of year because of degrade in the logs.  

Let me know if you are getting close to a sale, I would be interested in being notified.

Thanks,
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

johnny95

What is the going rate right now for hard maple for a job with about 18,000 board feet?    I had it appraised about 7 years ago, but I didn't sell so I do know approx how much there is, but the research has been limited on the net for what the market conditions are for hard maple at this time.  Thanks

Ron Scott

The price depends upon the quality and grade of the hard maple and the logging variables of your stand. You should have a professional consulting forester update your appraisal for current values and market potential.

Individual bid values can vary drastically between bidders, but you should have an idea of the minimun acceptable value.  
~Ron

makemesoup

Johnny,

What county of Michigan is the woodlot located?
Sal - Community Forester - The Greening of Detroit

Ron Scott

Current Prices for Hard Maple in northern lower Michigan listed in the Michigan DNR Average Stumpage Price Report for 7/1/03 - 6/30/04 are:

Sawlogs: $451.15/MBF average price (minimum: $210.00/MBF; maximum: $1,145.00/MBF)

Pulpwood: $11.37/cord average price (mimimum: $4.75/cord; maximum: $27.00/cord)
~Ron

michforester99

A recent sale that I'm aware of in the lower mid michigan area that was concentrated with hard maple brought about 85 cents a board foot which was for about 30,000 board feet.   Like prior posters said it depends on the quality and other variables so it is difficultt for anyone to quote a price without seeing it first, but Maple is strong right now and .85 plus or minus 10 cents either way wouldn't surprise me as long as the trees are average grade or better.  

Greg

QuoteCurrent Prices for Hard Maple in northern lower Michigan listed in the Michigan DNR Average Stumpage Price Report for 7/1/03 - 6/30/04 are:

Sawlogs: $451.15/MBF average price (minimum: $210.00/MBF; maximum: $1,145.00/MBF)

Pulpwood: $11.37/cord average price (mimimum: $4.75/cord; maximum: $27.00/cord)

Ron or anyone,

Could you define stumpage price for me? (A newbie to timber sales) I want to be sure I understand...

I'm thinking this is the price of the estimated board foot paid to the landowner for a standing/on the stump (i.e. uncut) amount of timber. Correct?

Another question, if a bid is accepted for X amount per board foot, then it turns out a bunch of the harvested logs have serious problems or hidden defects like shake, then is the contract bid typically still binding?

Thanks much,
Greg

Ron Wenrich

My dad was an auctioneer and he used to say "your eyes are your market".  In other words, you better know what you're bidding on before you bid.

When bidding on a sealed bid sale, you are setting the price for that particular stand of timber.  You will be held to the contract, no matter what the condition of the timber is like.

I remember seeing a sale that the state put up which had a lot of cherry on it.  The winning bidder was from quite some distance away.  All the local mills were the low bidders.  When I asked how come, the locals told me that everyone knew that cherry from that area was loaded with gum.  Well, not everyone knew.   :D

The quality of the timber can be told from the outside.  But, the best way of figuring that out is to see how a log looks on the inside.  The best judges of timber quality are sawyers.  The next best are log graders.  Experience also plays a factor.

If I was a newbie to timber buying, I'd get someone to mentor.  Some retired mill owner or sawyer would fit that bill nicely.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Weber_Brothers_Saw

Hi Johnny,
  We would be interested in giving you a price on your timber.  Please let us know when your sale is.  We are located in Central Lower Michigan.
  Amy

Thank You Sponsors!