iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanksgiving food: What's on your table this year?

Started by Paschale, November 22, 2005, 11:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Hey man!   I live in the South.  We never stop.  :D :D

Paschale

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 24, 2005, 04:54:11 PM

That pie looks AMAZING!  How'd it turn out?

I'm stuffed to the gills, and already thinking about Christmas food!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

CHARLIE

Well, my twin grandboys, born premature at 27½ weeks last June 27, are still to fragile to be going out of their home. So we had Thanksgiving at my son's house this year.  My daughter was to bake the pies, but she and her husband came down with colds.  Donna baked a 15 pound turkey, made giblet gravy, stuffing and a "Root" Vegetable dish (onions, turnips, carrots, parsnips, baking potatoes, Sweet potatoes all baked together) and freshly made cranberry sauce. Then she made Pumpkin Pie, Cherry Pie and Mincemeat Pie.  We loaded it into the vehicle and headed for my son's home. The temp was +18° and the sun was right in my eyes. I was tooling along at 65 mph at 2:00pm when through the glare I saw eight skinny legs. Two DanG deer standing in my lane.  I hit the brakes fairly hard and swerved to the left a bit and was lucky that they scooted back to the side of the road instead of my way.  All the food shifted a bit in the back but nothing spilled.  We got to my son's about 2:30pm and had some wine and stuffed mushrooms, cheese and crackers for appetizers. Then we settled into a fine meal with all the stuff Donna made plus a greenbean casserole and rolls.  It was a good time and now I'm STUFFED! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

We actually had our dinner last Saturday cause that is when all of the families can get together on stump jumpers side.  My side doesn't get together.

We had half of my 46 1/2 pound turkey (Home grown), ham, mashed potaotes, gravy, stuffing, rolls, olives, pickles, cranberry sauce from a can, cake and some kind of dessert with heath bars and caramel and other ingred they were good (my sister-in-law made it) there was more but I can't remember all of it and we all had a good time and stuffed ourselves.
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

beenthere

Charlie
As I was reading your tale, I was sure the outcome was going to be different, but sure glad the food just 'shifted' and you missed those 'poor' dear deer. 

Have to tell about my time, in HS and on a 'new' date. Picked the girl up with all the food 'stuff' for a good picnic (potato salad, chicken, baked beans, jello, pie, etc.) in the back seat of my 'fresh outta the body shop' 52 Mainline Ford. She was learnin to drive so I let her drive but didn't know she had no experience with a stick shift. She turned left on a gravel road, let the clutch out too fast, spun the tires, froze with the wheels turned left and the accelerator down to the floor.  Complete panic. Did a 180 and dropped the front end into a 6' deep ditch. All that food ended up between the back seat and the dash board. Her screamin and cryin, and both of us covered with potato salad and beans and such. Did a complete number on the new front end job that the body shop just finished (I previously encountered a tree accidentally  :) ).

Glad your day went well. Sounded like a great meal.

Let's see, we had the proverbial bird, pumpkin pie, dressing, mashed tato's, gravy, corn, and fresh rolls, and then ate again on the leftovers with two of our grand granddaughters and their folks. Great day, and I'm still stuffed. Saturday, the other daughter and our other two more grand granddaughters are coming for a standing rib roast.  Our son's cannot be with us this time.

PS  And SHE wouldn't go out with ME anymore ::) ???  Go figure.  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paschale

Quote from: Mrs._Stump_Jumper on November 24, 2005, 11:59:04 PM
We had half of my 46 1/2 pound turkey (Home grown),

:o  Was the turkey fed on anything other than Stumpjumper Maple Syrup?   ;)

iain

Here it will be the same as normal

WAY TO MUCH OF EVERY THING

iain

ohsoloco

Paschale, thanks for the good words  :) 

Well, let's see, that was the third attempt at a pie crust  ::) and if you consider I don't own a rolling pin (something I never think about buying until I need one) I think the crust was DanG good.  The pie turned out much like Tom described his wife's pecan pie.  I baked it for as long as the recipie said to, but the knife still wasn't coming out clean when inserted into the middle, so it got baked at least 15 or 20 minutes longer than called for.  It was pretty good as desert, but it was done baking at 2pm and we ate it for desert around 6pm.  Now, the piece I had later that night after it spent a while in the fridge was excellent  ;)  There were a few holes in the crust I had to punch in it b/c when I baked the pie shell it was puffing up on me, so some of the filling got in between the crust and the pie dish, and that stuff was like a nice caramel candy  ;D

UNCLEBUCK

I am finishing off the last of grandmas pumpkin pies and reading this yummy thread and I have to say that Stumpjumpers turkey is /was huge !  In my hometown newspaper this week it tells about my neighbor who raised 2 turkeys for the president of the usa this year  whom we all seen on tv giving pardons too last week. I couldnt believe it and how he fed those turkeys a top secret feed and had to play special music for them and they reached about 37 pounds each and that is kind of sickly compared to that michigan turkey . I still cant believe my neighbor never told anyone what he was up to .He jogs by the sawmill everyday and I wave at him but I am going to drop my tools now and salute him because he made my town famous just like when the gold trucks were coming through mayberry.   Drove the 2 turkeys in a mini van to washington dc where said goodbye to his pets who met the leader of the free world and then will be flown first class to disney land in california where they will retire . Well I am out of pumpkin pie !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

estiers

Paschale - I tried your pumpkin cheesecake recipe and from the responses I got I would agree that it was a definite winner!
Thanks.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Paschale

Quote from: estiers on November 28, 2005, 11:40:18 AM
Paschale - I tried your pumpkin cheesecake recipe and from the responses I got I would agree that it was a definite winner!
Thanks.

Hey Teri,

Glad it worked out for ya.  My stove was being tempermental, and I wasn't able to make mine, so I'm glad somebody enjoyed that on Thanksgiving.    ;)

Thank You Sponsors!