iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popple? for trim?

Started by mjeselskis, March 28, 2012, 09:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

This is interesting read. When I was growing up in Colorado we used the quaky aspen for fire wood all the time. My mom even cooked with it in the wood stove.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

There is a species called white poplar, Populus alba, that is native to Europe, but not North America.  It has been brought over and planted and it has naturalized well.  The leaf is distinctive because it is dark glossy green on top and very white on the underside.  It is not the same as the aspens.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mjeselskis

Thanks for all the replies. The trees in the pictures are 14-18" dbh. I do have alot of smaller trees (4-6") that die, rot, and fall over in a year. This is a different area in the woods and there are probably 2 dozen of these trees that are still growing great with no sign of the typical die off. This year I burned young popple almost exclusively in my IWB, and it burns great as long as you let it dry out completely,  it just burns faster than real hardwoods.

I'll add these to the sawing pile next and see what I end up with for lumber. 

Thanks again
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Mooseherder

Our cabin is surrounded by quaking aspen and they look like the ones in your pictures.  Some of them are very large and I've been taking them out because they pose a threat to the cabin.  I still have at least a dozen that have to come down.  I've used the wood in my smoker grill to smoke a beef brisket and also used it when smoking a lake togue.  It turned out very good.  We also use the wood in our wood stove for heat.  It's not the greatest heat source but it does the job when you use it with other stuff.  My brothers call it Popple.   I'll try making lumber with it when my mill is in service.  That is the reason they are still standing.  The logs look like they'll make some nice lumber.

cutterboy

mjeselskis, I was wondering if you sawed up any of your popple. I'm going to saw some soon and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

That's quaking aspen, or white. I say what have you got to lose, saw it up. Red Oaks is right, it can be a bit squirrely. I'd saw it 6" wide or narrower, sticker it immediately in a shady spot with some weight on top of the pile.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

I made the last post without realizing that there was a second page, or that it was a year old ::)

mjeselskis

Quote from: barbender on August 17, 2012, 12:32:08 AM
I made the last post without realizing that there was a second page, or that it was a year old ::)

To answer the question, I havent sawn them up. They are still standing. I had to hurry to get the logs sawn that I had down this year, and now I'm on the road traveling for work so my sawmilling is done for this season. I may saw them up next year for the kids clubhouse.

It's been a couple months since I've run the mill and I'm having withdrawals...
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

barbender

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get your fix soon ;)

Thank You Sponsors!