iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas or Diesel motor for bandsaw?

Started by WoodSmith, October 19, 2004, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSmith

???The motors that manufacturers tend to use on portable bandsaws, (in this case I am especially interested in the motors that WM's uses on their HD40 series) which tends to develop more torque & HP gas or diesel? And are the diesel motors similar to other diesel motors as far as longevity and maintaince? I really have no experience with diesel motors.(Are they as noisey as a Dodge diesel pickup? ;D
Comments limited to 2-bits!!  :D
I thank yunz

J_T

Diesel is always better than gas  ??? Can't beleive any thing could rattel like that cummins it the dodge :D :D Please forward 2bits to Ck in Miss as I don't have a horse ;D
Jim Holloway

WH_Conley

Not much of anything makes as much noise as the diesel in my Dodge
Bill

Percy

Heya Woodsmith
I have owned a gas WM and now I have a diesel WM. The gas one was a 35 HP Wisconsin which was a very good engine. It is still running with close to 5000 hours on it with no rebuild. Synthetic oil rules ;D.

Now this 42 HP Kubota is a sweetheart. It has way more power than the old mill, and burns less fuel than the old unit. I used to go thru 35 to 40 liters on a hard day with the gas engine. The Kubota will barely eat 20 liters on a hard day. Im doing this milling thing full time these days and the Kubota will pay  for itself in about 2 years from new or 6 months from now..( there is no gas engine option on the LT70 but my comparison is based on the price difference between a gas  LT40 and a diesel LT40) I burn the marked diesel up here(purple) in the mill and my fuel costs are half of what they used to be for the  gas mill.

The diesel will pay for itself if you use the mill lots ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

farmhand

I normally do more reading than talking, but I have to put my two cents in on the noisey Dodge Cummins talk.

I have a 1990 Dodge with a Cummins ;D and my brother -in-law has a 2002 Ford with a Powerstroke diesel :-[.  Well, his Powerstroke makes my Cummins sound like a purring kitten.  ???

Everytime he pulls out of my driveway it sounds like its about to blow up.  
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

RacinRex

My Cummins is quieter than any of my buddies HD diesel... chevy or ford. Cummins did a great job quieting these 3rd generation 5.9L Diesels down.

Diesel on a mill? I can't really comment as I've only sawn with a gas powered one but from my experience with everything else on the farm I can tell you this. You Will Fall in LOVE with the diesel. The ratlle really grows on you when you look at fuel savings alone. If you are a real tree hugger you might even start making your own fuel by running Waste Vegitable OIl through the transesterification (sp) and making bio-diesel. It'll smell like a pig roast everytime you use the mill.... I'm thinking about using it for my lube when I'm doing pine.....  Still have yet to try it.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

MrMoo

My old mill had a Honda 13hp engine on it. It started easy and ran well. My Logmaster has a 23.5hp Cat diesel on it and I think its great. It uses less fuel than the gas engine and has lots of torque and keeps the band running at the same speed all the time.
I also think diesel engines are very easy to maintain.

WoodSmith

I wasn't trying to insult Dodge owners, I was just thinking about diesel motors and the fact that when I'm standing next to my friends Dodge diesel you can't talk. Sounds like diesel might be the more efficient way to go. Actually there is nothing more intoxicating then the smell of diesel smoke and douglas fir  :o
See ya all later

Thank You Sponsors!