iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning up after a big wind

Started by maple flats, February 21, 2006, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Love to hear the stories of North American History.  Keep em coming.

Another thing I love to read from time to time are the native legends of Nanabush. :D  My favorite is how the crow turned black :o

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Hard to find berries in the dead of winter and in the summer it usually entails finding a disturbed area where they can grow back, like forest fire ground. I suppose if they found enough high bush cranberry or squash berry (about the same) they would be ok in winter. It's recorded in journals that they ate the bark or broth there of white cedar for scurvy. It's called the tree of life (Arbor Vitae). ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

The setlers where stranded and all dying of scurvy when the algonguins found them ... nursed them back with the cedar potion , and fatened them up with beaver and deer and more then likely an early form of grits . . I'll dig up that bit of history I know I have it here somewheres .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I'm not pokin fun at Isawlogs, but i like the way he tells history. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

If they would have been around here they would have been able to find all kinds of rosehip berries in the bush.  Rosehips are very high in Vitamin C.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jon12345

How did this post go from windstorm >>>>> food    :D :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

High bush cranberry is high in V-C and also the natives stewed the bark for ASA, the main ingredient in aspirin.

jon12345

I ate some high bush cranberries before, I think   :D  they didn't make me sick anyways  :-[ ::)

I was readin some stuff about white pine, and found out it has pretty high vitamin C and A.  I also read that when they weren't starving, bark soup is what they fed to their dogs.

Ever heard of candied white pine tips?  Apparently before they get too hard you can boil them and cover them with a sugar syrup and roll em in sugar.

Another one,   one oz of finely chopped white pine needles with I think 6 oz boiling water poured over them   blech   There are probably other ingredients I forgot to mention.   ::)

SwampDonkey

Well the thing about the cranberries or squash berries you can find them in winter. Hard to pick raspberry, strawberry or blueberry up here on the ice caps. ;D Around here on lowlands with shade intolerant hardwoods like aspen and birch stands, the cranberries grow in under them like crazy in some places. Other places it's wild raisen in under them, but they don't last the winter. Both Viburnums though. On dryer sites is raspberry canes or beaked hazel, or both in under there.

jon12345

The 'cranberries' I ate were on a little shrub about 18" high, and was growin on the edge of a stream.  It was in november, and they were pretty dry in the middle.  I only ate a handfull, and they were kinda bitter. 

I love pickin berries, one time I found some high bush blueberries at a campground about an hr south of me.  I wasn't sure what they were until I tasted some because I didn't know blueberries could grow that tall  :D  I filled my hat a few times and the 'tree' was still loaded, and the ones near the top were out of reach.

Also so a big kitty track in the mud down there, and last summer I heard about and saw a mountain lion caught on a trail camera from that same area.  I think there are more in NY than people would think.

I love reading those old hunting reports of the guys shooting 100 'catamounts' 200 bears and 500 deer in a season  ::)

SwampDonkey

Don't know if there are red huckle berries down there. They along with bog cranberries and blueberries are vacciniums. We don't have huckleberries up here, but they were all over the west coast were I worked, some of them never even dropped their leaves on the Charlottes. On the coastal mainland they were terrible thick in places. Used to see hummingbirds at them in April for the nectar. I never did see a bumble bee out there.

Thank You Sponsors!