iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woo, Hoo Mx LX450 Diesel is finally here...

Started by Stuart Caruk, December 28, 2017, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

Woo, Hoo Mx LX450 Diesel is finally here...

After 9 1/2 months of waiting my LX 450 is finally here. To be fair, if I'd stuck with the original gas powered version and no debarker, It would have been ready in July. But They told me if I wanted to wait a couple more weeks I could get a debarker. Then they had the diesel figured out and I could wait another couple months.... which, because of issues requiring the tier 4 diesel, took longer than planned. The weather caused some other issues getting the truck in their yard to unload, so training was delayed till today. For some odd reason they won't turn you loose without training...

So ya, I know... pictures...

I carefully measured this sucker at the show, and it has a greater capacity than the LT50 wide or LT70 wide. It has the dual hydraulic pumps of the LT40 super, that are really fast compared to my LT35 hyd. It is very nicely put together with some pretty stout components. A couple minor hiccups cropped up, but they will be easily addressed once it's installed in my sawmill shed, leveled, and bolted down. This will always be a stationary mill at my facility.

One issue I kick myself about is that this sucker goes way higher above the rails than I thought it would. I may be vertically challenged in my mill shed. I guess I'll know in a couple hours....

I still can't quite figure out why this mill is priced so cheaply. It's a huge step up from a 40 series, and matches the speed of the super, for way less money. I'm not complaining though.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dbroswoods

nativewolf

Hey hey nice!  With your fabrication skills you'd be one of the members that I wouldn't worry about with sawmill shed modifications.  Little jacking here, some custom welded braces there and your roof has gained 2 feet.  I am actual curious to see how you deal with the height challenge but am very pleased you've got the new mill.  Congrats!
Liking Walnut

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Congratulations - keep us posted on the real world production she will do. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

DPatton

WOW, that's a beauty Stuart! Congratulations on the new mill. That head and carriage design along with the bed looks so much different than most Wood-Mizer mills (Kinda resembles a TK mill) :o :o :o. Keep us posted on how it performs.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dgdrls

Congratulations SC.  I'll look forward to hearing your reports back on its performance
after a couple/few hundred hours of run time.

Question on your tier 4, what diesel is it and does it require any DEF ?

It's a current thread here
tier 4 diesel ? in Sawmills and Milling

D

Stuart Caruk

It's a Yanmar tier 4. No DEF required, but it does have an automatic regen cycle that can apparantly be delayed when it pops up. The manual says it requires no change in operation. In theory, the mill shouldn't lose any power during regen, but the exhaust will get a lot hotter. I guess we'll just have to see how it works out. The engine looks massive and is quite a bit louder than the Kohler on my LT35. It's not objectionable, but my wife keeps wandering out thinking another semi truck has arrived that she needs to unload...

It's under cover now, but oddly it's soaked from the condensation with all the rain and cold. I'll get some pictures after I get some pads bolted down and weld the sucker to the floor. The head moves fast enough, and is heavy enough that the the mill creeps about 1/2" on every return of the head (further if it taps the end stop...). So far only a couple minor issues have cropped up that should be easy to fix.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Southside

We had a truck in for service at a garage once when one of the other trucks went into regen, set off the fire suppression system and filled the entire facility with foam. Personally I would be concerned with a regen cycle in a dusty environment, time will tell I guess.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations. Looks like a very nice mill .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

tobryant1

Drooling right now, congratulations on a beautiful piece of machinery.  My John Deere tractor has a Yanmar 4 cylinder with the Regen cycle and no DEF.  You can continue to work through the Regen cycle with no noticable loss in power.  The exhaust tune sounds a bit different and temp goes up a bit but that's it.  More soot builds up at lower RPM speed.  If you keep it working over 2500 RPM the time between cycling is longer.  My tractor usually goes into Regen cycle when soot percentage is 80.

Again let us know how well the mill works out.  Whenever I retire from my day job I want to get a diesel mill like the LX 450.

Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Good to see their going with a Yanmar diesel.  Nice mill  . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JB Griffin

Quote from: Southside logger on December 29, 2017, 09:54:04 PM
We had a truck in for service at a garage once when one of the other trucks went into regen, set off the fire suppression system and filled the entire facility with foam. Personally I would be concerned with a regen cycle in a dusty environment, time will tell I guess.

Theres been more then one hayfield set on fire because of those stupid dpf. The 6.4 PS was the one most commonly stated as the culprit around here. Apparently you can't delay the regen on a stock 6.4 and it kinda sneaks up on ya.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Magicman

Congrats Stuart on the end of your looong wait.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stuart Caruk

Got her home under cover and onto my slab. Major relief that I'd only made a minor tactical error. Turns out the diesel version is a lot taller than the gas rig. Fortunately my wife is more observant than myself, and while the saw cleared the cross brace at the end of my building with the head down, the radiator would plow through it if it was up more than about 18". She was yelling stop as I was coming down the rails. Good thing...

Could have made a nasty dent in the radiator...

So I moved the mill down a couple feet from where I wanted it to end up. Funny thing is that this sucker was determined to move back. Leveled up on the slab, every time the head returned and stopped short of the bumpers the inertia would slide the mill an inch or so. So I fired up the Oxyfuel table and sliced out some metal plates and rawl bolted them to the concrete, then welded the pads down. This sucker should stay put now...

This thing has a massive amount of room to hack up large logs...

It is a wee bit over 34 1/2" between the blade guides. 32 1/2" up from the deck to the blade, and my favorite... almost 17" on top of the blade. Even with the debarker installed, there is loads of clearance above the blade, which was always an issue on my LT35.

Overall it fits my shed really well. I need to whip up a 30' extension for the rails, lost the wheel, axle and hitch, add a green line laser level, and get my stop loader arms built for the log deck and get back to work.

Stuart Caruk

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

I'm interested to see what they did on the debarker.  Would you mind posting a couple of pics?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

reswire

I'm still waiting to see another control system available for this mill.  Is it an engineering issue, or did they just push it to market too quickly?  Seems like a test run for more, four post mills from woodmizer....

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!