iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when to cut firewood

Started by easymoney, March 08, 2010, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easymoney

this may have been answered before, but a cousin of mine says he heard that it was best to cut firewood in the winter while the sap is down. or does it matter if you let it dry enough before you burn it?

breederman

I always figure the best time is when I get around to it. ;)
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Not much difference in seasonal moisture at all. Just dry it good. I wonder where he thought the moisture came from to go there? Water has to go up to send it down, can't suck it out of the air. Well maybe that ain't quite true, but it ain't in liquid form. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Slabs

The sap-down thing sounds resaonable.  I cut mine at least a year before I burn it to make sure it dries out as much as possible.  Cool weather also makes a much better time to swing the saw and axe.  Some stays in the rack for two years.

Wet wood takes 970 BTU per pound of water to dry out if it's in your heater/stove.  That's not counting the energy it takes to elevate the water to evaporation temperature (1 BTU/pound/degree Farenheit).  Could mean lotsa BTUs up the flue just to get the water out of the wood.

Now this probably didn't have anything to do with the original question but it's a few facts to consider for woodburners.

Y'all have a good-un'
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

footer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 08, 2010, 07:13:13 PM
Not much difference in seasonal moisture at all. Just dry it good. I wonder where he thought the moisture came from to go there? Water has to go up to send it down, can't suck it out of the air. Well maybe that ain't quite true, but it ain't in liquid form. ;)

Well, I would have to say that depends on the tree species and the climate you live in, among other variables. If i cut a cottonwood down here in the spring, summer or fall, mainly on the river bottoms, the water gushes out like a faucet is turned on. In the winter, trees are dormant here in the winter, no water comes out. There is also a big difference in maple from winter to summer.
Like breederman says, I cut it whenever i have time, usually the weekend before i burn it :D

ErikC

I cut it as soon as it falls across the road :D or near the road, or anywhere easy to get to with the pickup or tractor. You're going to dry it anyway, why make it more complicated than need be?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

stonebroke

A good day to cut firewood is yesterday  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stonebroke

Magicman

I'll be cutting and splitting Friday.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Footer, that's to do with sight not season and I agree with you there. Water don't flow when it's froze. And not only that your talking about seasons where the water in circulating in the tree it don't hold any more water though. ;) However I've yet to see any significant  difference in water content by season. The evidence, and not old time legends, backs that up. ;) Unless it's been bucked, split and stacked to dry. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4genlgr

my greaat uncle would cut his down in the summer and leave the leaves on when the leaves were dead and faling off he'd cut it up and burn it that winter

trapper

I like to cut elm when it is dead and the bark has fallen off.  Them much of the water is gone and is less weight for me to handle.  I have to handle  all of my firewood by hand.  Been cutting by a lady that has a lot of dead wood she wants cleaned up. Yesterday was the end for me until the ground dries out and I can use a trailor.  Her driveway just melted of snow and I dont want to wreck my sled.  In the winter i use an otter sled that will hold the 30 inch pices crossways and pull it with the atv out of the woods. I cut to 30 inches because that is what will fit in my splitter and seems to work well in the owb
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

roger 4400

Hi.
Usually I cut mine in november when I,m hunting deer. The deers will feed on the tender ends,(deers will eat all the top branchs of my maples) I only fell the trees down. In may before the mosquitos attack..., I cut it in 16 in.and cord it. If I do not have time to fell the trees in automn, I cut it in early june and let them with their leaves on (only fell, not cut in 16 in.) 2 to 3 weeks after the leaves will have taken all the sap they can and they are dry , then I cut it in 16 in. and make my cord to dry, it is dry the same automn....Good luck Roger.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

ladylake

Today wasn't a good day, drizzling all day but I had about a cord on a pond that I wanted to get before I couldn't drive on the pond.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wageslave

I cut the tree's down in the winter and then buck it up in the spring to dry for the coming winter. I have cut  tree"s in july cause i didn't have time to get to it, and then bucked it up to dry but the wood is still wet come winter. The wood doesn't dry out during the winter months when cut this late unless I store a lot of it in the house and let the woodstove dry it out.

downeast

We've always harvested firewood in winter in northern New England. Deciduous trees are dormant, little osmosis or sap flow in hardwoods, the frozen wood 'seems' easier and lighter to move and cut ( just this one's experience over the years harvesting 6-8 cords/year). Besides all this there's no bugs, usually soft snow, frozen ground, easier working in the cold since you can always take things off.
When spring comes with longer days, greater sun exposure, but below freezing nights, many species are tapped to extract the sap from the cambium; the sap of maples, and some birches are made into syrup here and in Quebec.
For example, Red/Soft Maple when cut in spring and summer weeps sap profusely; never in winter. There's a big difference for us hand humping butts/bucks in the winter as opposed to spring/summer. The body knows. ;D  Your experience may differ.

footer

Quote from: downeast on March 12, 2010, 09:07:28 PM
We've always harvested firewood in winter in northern New England. Deciduous trees are dormant, little osmosis or sap flow in hardwoods, the frozen wood 'seems' easier and lighter to move and cut ( just this one's experience over the years harvesting 6-8 cords/year). Besides all this there's no bugs, usually soft snow, frozen ground, easier working in the cold since you can always take things off.
When spring comes with longer days, greater sun exposure, but below freezing nights, many species are tapped to extract the sap from the cambium; the sap of maples, and some birches are made into syrup here and in Quebec.
For example, Red/Soft Maple when cut in spring and summer weeps sap profusely; never in winter. There's a big difference for us hand humping butts/bucks in the winter as opposed to spring/summer. The body knows. ;D  Your experience may differ.
I couldnt agree more  ;D I dispise cutting wood when its hot out, but for some reason, when its bitter cold, I dont seem to mind working outside cutting wood. Also, I never get poison ivy in the winter :D

shinnlinger

I agree with all that has been posted.  Ideally you do it in the winter as there are no bugs,  the sap is down and you can skid trees in snow so it wont dull you blade back at the ranch.  If you do it in the winter you can also say "It warms you twice" 

All that said, when you get to it, you get to it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SwampDonkey

I never felt it get any lighter and with snow all over it, slipping out of your gloves and on your foot feels mighty heavy. Splits a lot easier green (wet) and frozen though. :D

Magicman

I cut and split today.  The splitter ran out of gas at 2:00.  A good "Quiting  time"...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I carry two jugs into the woods, one with water and one with gasoline. Whichever I empty first, I leave the woods. ;D

isawlogs

That would of been my ticket out also ! smiley_wavy
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

I did not burn anything but slabs this winter....I tried to keep the stacks nice and neat...They have been there for over a year...just take the 084 and a 36" bar and in about 15 or 20 minutes I can have 1/4 of a cord at the house to put on the porch...Thats about all you can pile on the 900 rtv... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

customdave

I would say 70% of my firewood gets put up in the winter, seems like thats when I have time for it, plus the fact its nicer to play with wood when its cooler. I like to stay a couple years stockpiled ahead so if it is a bad weather winter I don't have to worry about gettin wood, plus I enjoy playin with wood for the most part.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

zopi

Quote from: easymoney on March 08, 2010, 06:58:30 PM
this may have been answered before, but a cousin of mine says he heard that it was best to cut firewood in the winter while the sap is down. or does it matter if you let it dry enough before you burn it?
When I can't get someone else to cut it for me....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DirtForester

Trees are full of water in the winter, awaiting the first flush of spring. 

http://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/nh/nh_5_03.pdf
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Thank You Sponsors!