iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickle Grading

Started by C_Miller, January 15, 2003, 07:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Miller

So I was makin a sammich, had out the bread, ham and rest of the fixin's.  And a jar of pickles cut the long way,not in the usual crosscut slices. sandwich slices I guess they are called.

Anyway I got too the point to add the pickles,  well the little rascals reminded me of a log flitch cut thru and thru, so I started to grade them. fortunately I caught myself before I put the #3 slices in the trash.

Sometimes  I wonder about my choice of livlihood.

C
CJM

DanG

And we're wondering other things about you, C. ::)

Do you find that the quartersawn pickles taste just a little better than flat-sawn?  If so, you may need to think about getting a little help. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADfields

So what do you grade the ones with seads as? :D   What did you use for stickers? ???
Andy

Don P

I think they're just peeler core :D
One of Michelle's classes at Moo U took them to the Mt Olive pickle plant. Don't know if y'all get their commercials where you are. The man, standing in the middle of empty main street comes  on saying "We make the best pickles", and looks up and down the street, " Got nothin better to do".
Alot of pickles (log run) are kept in large vats of brining solution till ready to be packed, then they are colored up and put in a jar. The better ones (FAS) are placed immediately in the jar and pickled there. They get a sticker that reads "Fresh Pack". After thinking about birds and seizures and where does that blue ice come from on aeroplanes...I always reach for the fresh packed. The folks on the pepper packing line switch out several times a day to get away from it :o. Oh yeah, the drug store down in Newton Grove still makes a real cherry coke. 8)

Bro. Noble

I worked a couple of summers in a sweetcorn cannery-----------------DonT eat creamstyle corn!

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

So 'Fresh Pack' = FAS?

Man, this is important stuff!  I don't know how I made it through life before I discovered this forum :D

Oh, yeah, to anwer ADs question - you would use cheese sticks to properly sticker them pickles. cover 'em over with a slice of your favorite meat or leafy veggie to contain any excess moisture. ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

It all comes down to taste, for general eating I prefer quartersawn, but for ease of operation it definatly has to be flatsawn for sandwich making.

;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Scott_R

The cheese sticks will cause sticker stain. :) Scott

Don P

Not at my house, its an airflow problem. Snatch that sammich up and whip it down...no stain. ;D

KiwiCharlie

Hey Noble,

Please enlighten us to the perils of creamed corn!  Its a fav of mine, I actually had a can the other night! :o :o :o  Now Im worried!
Ive heard the stories around cans of corned beef, but creamed corn? ???
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

ADfields

I dont drink milk becous I spent most my life watching whats on the bottom of the vat on truck day. :-X :-[   I aint asking whats in creamed corn and Charlie if your smart you wont ask whats in milk! :-X   Just drink it and be happy in your not knowing, it wont hert yea none. :-/
Andy

woodmills1

:D :D I tried to pay a helper with creamed corn once :D :D

:D :D but he just spit it out and yelled :D :D

:D :D THIS AIN'T PEAS  :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bro. Noble

Kiwi,

Andy's right.  Anyway it's processed and doesn't wiggle anymore after it's canned. :o

Noble

KiwiCharlie

G'day Noble n Andy,

Now thats cruel! :o ;)  I think its worse not knowing, but then, you never know!
Cheers
Charlie.

Bro. Noble

Kiwi,

Actually it was moisture content that determined which loads went to whole cournel or creamstyle.  They did try a little harder to remove worm damaged corn from the whole cournel though.

The over mature corn went to creamstyle.  MOST of the 'cream' is from starch.

Noble

Jeff

Jeez can't you guys stay on topic.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KiwiCharlie

G'day Noble,

Oh is that all - worms??!! - I thought it was something terrible. ;)  For one sector of our nation here, a favourite food is corn that has been in a sack, in running water for a week or two.  Now thats an aquired taste.... :o
Cheers
Charlie

PS. I like Pickles.  There, back on topic. ;) ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Good on ya, Charlie. Got to keep the DanG janitor happy. :P :P
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodman

Do you air dry the bread befour you eat it.
Jim Cripanuk

Kevin_H.

I kiln dry my bread in a toaster for about 30 sec. before using it. ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

dail_h

Worked in a pickle plant for HEINZ WHEN Iwas in high school-it was years before I eould even eat Mama's picles.Anybody ever see a cucumber grader working?? Now there's a piece of machinery,all shaking &rattling &the whole building shaking,cukes going here and there into crates.Why it's enough to scare a kid of 6-7near to death if it wasnt so facinating ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

splinters

I never saw a pickle grader, but I once was involved with a pickle slicer. But she ran off with a salesman :D

DanG

I been trying to find a way to meld that joke into this for 2 days! Good job, Splinters! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Did ya all hear about the pushcart war held in New York several decades ago?  It all began when a pickle vendor was selling produce on the local streets when purposely or accidently Frank the Flower peddler was pushed into the pickle barrel by a truck driver.  The War was on. ;D
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!