iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a coral mushroom?

Started by Robert R, November 13, 2005, 05:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Hey I saw in another thread, I think by Bro. Noble, a mention of coral mushrooms.  Since it was in september, I assume it wasn't a typo meaning morel.  I am from the same part of the country and have never heard of them.  Any insight?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Bro. Noble

They grow in the fall,  greyish pink and look like coral.  They get 6 or 8" high.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Robert R

I did a quick google search.  Found some pics but no good info on habitat and/or whether or not it is eatable.  Do you eat em.  Treat em like morels?
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Bro. Noble

They, like morels,  are easy to identify and are good to eat.  I prefer the morels,  but glad to find either.  They probably aren't as common as morels,  but when you do find them,  there is usually enough to have all you want plus enough to give away or freeze.  Seems like all I've ever found were on a hillside (slope in any direction),  but then the only ground we have that's not hillside is the bottom of hollars and the tops of ridges ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Max sawdust

There are 20+ types of coral mushroom in the USA. Some are very good to eat, some are not so good.  Their ar no reports of anyone ever getting killed by coral mushrooms BUT some coral mushrooms can have a STRONG laxitive effect ::)
Be carefull only eat mushrooms after you are 100% sure of the identity.
PS Yes morels are "easy" to identify, but people get confused and pick false morels which will kill you.  False morel poisoning is the #1 mushroom "accident" in the country.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!