iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with log home question

Started by Jrpitdog, April 07, 2018, 06:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrpitdog

I might have an opportunity to get a log home on a 40 acre parcel at a discount price. The home has been unoccupied for a couple years. As such the home was not maintained and fell into a bit of disrepair. Its not really in bad shape overall, the only problem area is the south facing outside wall. The sealant is gone and the sun, rain and whatever else has deteriorated the wood. I don't think there is any active rot. I think I could cover the logs with board and batten siding, coped around the logs at the corners.  I know that's not 'normal' but I think it would serve to keep out the weather and still allow airflow. Any potential issues with this idea? I am trying to think ahead and appease my lender without replacing logs.

starmac

If there is no rot, why can the logs not be restored?

I know of log homes in New Mexico that were stuccoed when they were built, and look like adobe houses. I also know of several old log homes up here that have some sort of siding hiding the logs. At least some of these were probably sided to hide problems, as I know of some that has had to have some extensive work on them because of rotten logs.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Don P

That was very common before logs became cool. Back in the day logs were a fast way to build shelter and were later furred out and sided over as time and money allowed, think of it as horizontal framing. Some folks got around to siding them, those are the ones that survived, some didn't, not many of those survive. The log barn we recently helped rebuild will be sided outside as soon as I think it has settled sufficiently. If you look at some old sided Russian houses you'll see proud built up vertical corner boards, they are boxing around the notched log corners.

South facing logs can take a beating, opening up checks that admit water and if enough has gotten in that can't readily redry it begins to rot, do a little judicious probing. Delmhorst makes up to 3" insulated pins if you have access to one of their meters with a slide hammer.

Jrpitdog

It might be possible to restore the logs, as I mentioned before I am just looking ahead at possibilities. I actually prefer the look of natural board and batten siding.

flyingparks

Any pictures? Yes you could do board and batten siding. You could do just about anything you wanted to. I would be surprised if there is any rot or serious moisture issue being on the south side of the house. Montrose and Colorado for the most part is dry as a bone. You could frame a 2x4 wall, insulate, and side the whole house if you wanted to.

WillyJohan

Old thread I know, but wondering if jrpitdog ever went through with this? I'm thinking about insulation and siding on the outside of my logs and would be curious of the experience.

firefighter ontheside

His last post on the forum was his last post in this thread, 3 years ago.  I doubt he is coming back.  You could try messaging him and see if his account is still active.  It may send him an email.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DonW

But anyway I appreciate reading this posting since I am just over the Mesa from Montrose and fixing to fix some old log structures. No mention of the age of his building but seems recent.
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Thank You Sponsors!