iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally cutting joints

Started by barasingha, May 12, 2018, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barasingha

Here is how it all locks together.

And here is how I'll raise the floor over the small joists to be level with big joists using 2x4 sleepers.

Runningalucas

Keep'em coming; enjoying the build progress.  8)
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Ljohnsaw

:P
Waiting to see how this is going to work.  Don't quite understand why the ends are cut the way you did and what that "walkway" thing down the middle is all about.  Love the rock work!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barasingha

The rock walls will continue vertically.  There will however be doorways between sections of the house divided by the rock walls, thus the need for a level floor.  The 2x4 sleepers will not pass thru the rock wall, as of yet unbuilt, but instead support about 6" of flooring.  The photo was to check the level.

The joists are cut that way to facilitate the running of wires and plumbing  between end of joist and rock walls; to be hidden later with trim boards.

The overhang on top of big joists, and the over hanging 2x4 upon the smaller joists, support about 6" of flooring upto the rock walls.

Hope that makes sense. 

Ljohnsaw

OK I think I get it.  That will be a big mechanical chase on the joist ends.  How much head room is that below the joists?  Just a crawl (crouch) space or is it walkable?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barasingha

The bedrock floor is not level.  Clear space under joists ranges from 7'10" to 8'5".

I plan to have a full staircase to down below.

barasingha

Here you can see the empty foundation.  At far end there is scaffold standing.  At far left is the construction staircase.  

samandothers

Very interesting build and beautiful rock work!

TimW

I love your build and location.  I was planning on retiring in the Hill Country, but my daughter announced she will be moving back here from the Austin (Manor) area.  So no rocks in my future plans, just tons of pine trees here!
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!