iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home built owb ideas

Started by old joe, December 04, 2008, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

Has anybody built their own design owb?  I'm not a great welder, but I think I can , with some good design advice. Any response will be greatly  appreciated. I have an almost unlimited supply of dead and down wood, and 5000sq'  in three buildings to heat  .       thanks   joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

beenthere

old joe
This design you are after to heat water, and then pump it to the buildings?

I've a small wood 'boiler' inside to heat water, and it is a very simple design. Essentially a barrel within a barrel. I cannot replace it, so if it gives up I will approach a local welder to get the 1/4" steel rolled, then have it welded with no leaks, and use the same cast door that is on it now. It is simple and very effective. Has a 9 gallon water jacket around it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

old joe

Thanks,     I've got a 500gal  propane tank for storage  and want to make  a heat exchanger  at the firebox  I'm going to try to convection feed the  tank .  What do you all think??

logwalker

I have been thinking about doing one as well. Use brick in the firebox on bottom and three sides for hotter firebox temps. Then pass the flue gasses thru a set of firetubes  and out the chimney. The one I use now is completely surrounded by water and never gets hot enough to burn completely. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

old joe

I made the firebox out of a 30 gal. water pressure tank .  6 in. stove pipe out the top, 12 in door.  its about 18 in diameter
Next I'll build 2   6 tube collectors out of 2" galanized pipe and bury it all in a sand filled cement block box.

Thank You Sponsors!