iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dovetail Jig ??

Started by jrkimroxie, April 10, 2010, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

Looking to buy a log dovetail jig for 6"x6" pine timbers. The price range varies greatly among brands, so I'm looking for opinions/prior experience with this type jig. Building a log home 100% DIY from felling tree to finished home.
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Great northern makes a nice looking jig  ;) well made and not too steep in price either  ;) I wouldnt mind buying one but ill stick to doing it the way my dad tought me for the timebeing  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sawdust

If you are only going to build one house then a template is a good way to go. A simple dovetail is very easy, compound is a little more difficult. If you do it by hand once then you will understand why they work. I found the math really confusing. I posted a youtube video about a template for a guy in Prince Edward Island. Look for lafarms
I may be one of the people you asked about the jigs, i used to build lots of them I have started encouraging people to try using a template. I can help you with it if you want.

sawdust.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

LedlieLogs

I bought mine from Sawdust here on the forum. Only cut about 30 or so logs then the group that owned the property where we were building changed plans (went belly up). The jig is simple and works great. The end result is great. Good luck.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

fred in montana

You can build your own jig for about $75.

logdovetailjig.com

Just so you know, that is my website.

Fred

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

sawdust

Afternoon Fred, I like your idea. Can I put a link to your website on mine?
I often have people wanting to build their own, welding them you have to plan out the movement of the heated metal. Wood you would not.

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

fred in montana

Sure thing David- thank you.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!