iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simpson Strong tie for concrete foundation to post

Started by mmhailey, June 19, 2010, 04:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

Which model strap anchor do most of you use for an anchor between the stem wall, and the main support post? Or do you recommend something entirely different. This application is for use on a stick framed floor system, with the post resting on  the floor deck.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/categories/straps_concrete.html
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jim_Rogers

That should do just fine as long as the lower end in the concrete is tied to loops around a piece of rebar....

I have posted, in the past, lots of info about, frame to concrete connections.

Maybe a search will show you what is already here.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

Quote from: mmhailey on June 19, 2010, 04:54:56 PM
<snip>
This application is for use on a stick framed floor system, with the post resting on  the floor deck.

You'll have solid blocking under the post I assume...   
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

witterbound

I used straps that were about 6 feet long, I think.  Buried them in the stem wall about 3' before the pour.  That left 3' sticking out.  My frame went on top of 18" floor trusses, so that left 18" on the post.  I nailed into the blocking between the stem wall and the floor, and then into the post itself.  We just used some kind of heavy duty simpson strapping that we cut.

mmhailey

Jim,

I found the thread when I looked up concrete to foundation thanks..... It looks like the difference in the various Simpson products is in the gauge of steel used.

Raphael,

I thought about extending my posts, much like Jim's picture in his album, but I can't afford to lose any length since the posts are already cut, and I don't have the extra 10-12" to lose. I have some kiln dried 2X, and those pieces set in a vertical position under my 2X car decking should be sufficient to transmit the load, with very little shrinkage. I'll cut a stub tenon, to hold the post in position on the 2X6 car decking, then run the strap anchor up the side and secure to hopefully prevent any uplift, and help secure the whole building to the foundation.

Witterbound,

I have some Simpson 12 gauge 1 1/2" strapping( quake tape) laying around here somewhere that I used on a project. I thought that would probably work, since no code requirements here.If I can't round up the actual Simpson strap anchors in a timely manner,  I think I may use 2 of those set and tied to the rebar, as my backup plan.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Raphael

The middle pair of posts in my office sit something like that, they're actually sitting directly on the 2x8 rim joists and a floor beam (4-2x8s) with additional blocking to fill in the gaps.  The rest land on either a sill timber or the 2x12 PT plate.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!