iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I am working with

Started by ArcFault, September 10, 2010, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcFault

Trying this again. Very sorry Jeff if this does not work and this becomes another wasted topic. I do not mean to fill your forums with crap. :/

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

i like that winch set up. looks like you have been busy . got enough wood cut for this winter yet?pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Warbird

Nice pics.  Thanks for sharing them.  What's the story on that truck?  Looks like a workhorse, for sure.  :)

ArcFault

Ohh, that truck is my baby. I love that thing so much. When I first took on the job of taking care of all these acres the tractor did not work. So I took my truck to my girlfriends mom's house. Man, this truck has done a lot of wood. And rescued the tractor when we first got it going.

When my girlfriends dad passed away the tractor was in the bush, had broken down and he had nnot fixed it. Well winter came and stuff and that thing spent the entire winter in the bush too. So we finally got the thing running but it neede some help getting out of it's new hole. So I drove that ram through hell and back to get it to the tractor. Then I hooked a chain between the two and put it into 4low and pulled along with my girlfriend ont he tractor trying to get it going. We got the tractor out as the hook came off the hitch and the truck then drove into a tree. :D It's served me well in getting rid of garbage and clearing brush too. I've been pulling out all the delimbed stuff.

I will get some pictures of that PTO winch thing in action. I had to fix all the chains on the gearing of it. Now that it's going. Logging is a little easyer. I still have trouble felling trees in the correct direction. :D

SwampDonkey

Well, it's a start (wood I mean), but I hope you got more than aspen cut, or it's gonna be a mighty cold winter up there near Sudbury.  ;)

Sounds like your on quite the adventure with all that acreage and taking on responsibilities around the farm.

Be careful out there sawing and yarding. I don't know how close you are the the old Route 2 highway, but I passed by there a couple times in August, maybe I already said so earlier.

I remember seeing bur oak along the highway on my trip out that way to the Sault. But can't remember the exact areas because it's a long ways across 500 miles. :D Ones I seen were mostly pole sized. There is no other white oak species over that way. The other oak is red oak which pretty much hangs handy to Lake Superior out that way. I started to see some bur after Grayling, Mi when going down to Jeff's mostly around or near some wetland places. Kind of like the main population of it around Grand Lake here in NB, around wetlands. Looks like a bare limb going out and a bunch of leaves out on the end.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ArcFault

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 10, 2010, 03:34:43 PM
Well, it's a start (wood I mean), but I hope you got more than aspen cut, or it's gonna be a mighty cold winter up there near Sudbury.  ;)

Sounds like your on quite the adventure with all that acreage and taking on responsibilities around the farm.

Be careful out there sawing and yarding. I don't know how close you are the the old Route 2 highway, but I passed by there a couple times in August, maybe I already said so earlier.

I remember seeing bur oak along the highway on my trip out that way to the Sault. But can't remember the exact areas because it's a long ways across 500 miles. :D Ones I seen were mostly pole sized. There is no other white oak species over that way. The other oak is red oak which pretty much hangs handy to Lake Superior out that way. I started to see some bur after Grayling, Mi when going down to Jeff's mostly around or near some wetland places. Kind of like the main population of it around Grand Lake here in NB, around wetlands. Looks like a bare limb going out and a bunch of leaves out on the end.

Poplar is generally all they use. And a bit of hard. They cut so much it's fine. With all this land it never runs out of aspen. :D

And umm, is bur oak bad or something?

SwampDonkey

I understand you on the aspen and all that land. Even a 30 acre hardwood lot would grow me enough wood for a life time.

Nothing wrong with bur oak, it's in the white oak group of oaks. A fine species of wood. Makes nice warm fires to. ;D

Around here in NB, oak is so sparse it's mostly considered for pulpwood, it isn't managed. Once you leave the larger river valleys it doesn't exist. Only maple, birch and beech grow in the remote areas and aspen will only come in on cuts, and mostly just road edge and skid trails (if pin cherry don't take over :D ). Where we thin trees out back, only see aspen along the ditches. So thick with spruce, fir and hardwood you could lose religion.

Swing that brush saw. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ark Top job on the pics Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) Nice looking set up you have to work with there looks like an early farmi 35 series winch (might also be a fergy winch too)  ;) on the massy the chains will be handy but you will have to watch yourself when driving over limbed slash as you might cop a whack on the back of the head though Mate  ;) Just take the rough trees out for firewood to improve the stand quality is what i would be aiming for myself if it was my block of ground as you never know you might wana go back through later on in life to get some logs to build you and the girlfriend a house and id be holding onto her mate as the ones that dont mind you towing them though the bush while also trying to start a tractor are Keepers  ;) :D ;D 8) Keep us posted Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!