iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home made chipper..any ideas?

Started by fuzzybear, May 01, 2011, 01:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I'm currently clearing off part of our land and am running out of room for all the piles of willow. I was wondering if any one has built their own chipper and would be willing to share with me.  Most stuff is in the 2" range and less. 
  Being this far north it is just to expensive to buy one for a small project. But if I build my own it would be much cheaper.
  Thank you.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

ladylake

Would a old silage chopper be heavy enough?     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

I have heard the angle of the blade has to be just about right,. I also feel an auto feed is needed too. HP is important too.Sounds like you will be using it ALOT.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

I have ideas ,,I just don't know if they will work...I have invisioned building one myself out of a couple ole model 12 Massey Fer. hay baylers that have ....I would like to be able to do more that 2 inches though...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bill m

Why don't you just buy mine. Brush Bandit model 250, 12 in. capacity, 100 hp turbo Cummins.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

bill m

That was dumb :-[ I should have looked to see where you lived. Shipping would be way to expensive.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Papa1stuff

Billm ,you could always take a vacation trip to the Yukon :D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

davey duck

forage harvesters  can handle twigs and small branches but the bigger like 1" or more will knock back the blades and ruin the shear bar ,also the blades come straight down on the shear bar unlike a chipper that feeds at the bottom of the cylinder.
David G.Fleming

Tom

The fastest and cheapest way to rid yourself of stuff like that is fire.  Fire will allow many of the nutrients to be returned to the earth.  The next best thing would be to allow it to rot (compost).  That might be a chore in the upper climates, but would return all of the nutrients to the earth.  To get the stuff to rot, you must get as much of it in contact with the soil as possible.

I would be leery of a homebuilt chipper.  The commercial ones are heavy built and still mighty dangerous.

I don't know what kind of willow you are working with, but black willow is used for bent stick furniture down here and you might look at making yourself a bunch of chairs or woven tables.  It sounds like you would have enough to go into business.  :D

Slingshot

Check this one out...........

http://bedair.org/Projects/chipper1.html

http://www.bedair.org/Projects/chipper2.html

___________________________---

sling_shot

fuzzybear

Quote from: Tom on May 01, 2011, 09:56:47 AM
The fastest and cheapest way to rid yourself of stuff like that is fire.  Fire will allow many of the nutrients to be returned to the earth.  The next best thing would be to allow it to rot (compost).  That might be a chore in the upper climates, but would return all of the nutrients to the earth.  To get the stuff to rot, you must get as much of it in contact with the soil as possible.

I would be leery of a homebuilt chipper.  The commercial ones are heavy built and still mighty dangerous.

I don't know what kind of willow you are working with, but black willow is used for bent stick furniture down here and you might look at making yourself a bunch of chairs or woven tables.  It sounds like you would have enough to go into business.  :D

Tom,
   the former owners tried chipping up the small area we are living in now and the small particles are still in the soil after 15 years. this stuff is very rot resistant. It is the typical Pussy Willow you find along swamps and river banks. I'm not sure the species name.
   People here have made furniture out of it and it works well. when I cut the bigger stuff it is about 30yo and has no rot in it, even when standing in water all summer.
   My wife and I are thinking we might try weaving it into fences around the property. But even then I am going to have tons left over. I was going to try and mulch and spread it around the trails and such.
   we cleared an area about 20'x30' and have a pile about 15' in diameter and 8' high. I still have 4 acres to clear.
   My other thought was to build a shear press and just feed it into it, cutting about 6" at a time. but this would be very time consuming.
   I guess i'll have to burn it all this winter.
  Thank you
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Peter Drouin

Bill M how much for the chiper  and hr,s ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mometal77

Free......I have a 20 ib plus beaver on my 6 acres of wetland the idiotic planning commission here will not let me build on.... :) 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!