iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A farmhouse table inspired by WDH!

Started by scsmith42, September 29, 2012, 11:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Another project from my "junk wood" stash.

Earlier this year Danny Hamsley (WDH on this forum), posted some pix of a farmhouse table that he crafted out of white oak.  His project inspired me to build something similar for my niece, who recently moved to NC to pursue her Masters degree at UNCG.

The wood came from a large willow oak (red oak) tree that had died before being harvested.  It had some mineral stain discolorations in some of the wood, and many of the boards had knots and other defects.  When we milled it a couple of years ago, I set it aside to use for shop projects due to the plethora of defects in the wood.

The table top was made from four bookmatched 10" wide QSRO boards.  Three of the four matched up fairly nicely, the fourth one was not perfect match but close.  A couple of knots and occluded limb defects were filled using a combination of charcoal and CA, and a hollow knot hole was filled with a butterfly inlay.  I trimmed the sides and ends of the table and glued the trimmed pieces onto the bottom side to increase the edge thickness.

The legs are the typical quadralinear style.  The base has a dovetailed support board in the middle and very strong corner braces.  I designed the table so that the legs could be easily removed for shipping.

The oil finish is the "Maloof mix" of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 BLO, and 1/3 spar varnish.

I delivered it to my niece earlier today, and she helped assemble the legs to the base.

It's nothing fancy, and certainly not in the same league as many of the projects that my fellow members craft, but it was a fun project for me and one that should be practical for my niece.  Danny, thanks much for the inspiration!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Texas Ranger

Outstanding, after 15 years, both of my daughters have stuff I built from my scrap pile.  She will treasure this for years to come.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Okrafarmer

She's lucky she has an uncle who has time to clean up his junk pile! I wish I could do stuff like that, but I have all the craftsman abilities of a bowling ball.  :'(

Very nice table, I'm sure you could sell one like that for a couple grand at least, and all from your scrap pile, to boot.
8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Scott or anyone else, how do you cut out for the butterfly piece? Where do you get the butterfly piece?

This table is awesome! Very nice work and the color/finish makes ya just wanna yake a bite out of it.

Any plans for the rest of the lumber?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Norm

Larry

Really nice table.  It has just the right combination of defect to make it interesting.

I'm curious about using CA and charcoal for filler.  First time I've heard of it used this way.  Does it have any advantage over epoxy?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Man!  That is awesome  8).  I love the linear grain and the way that you turned defects into assets.  I also use those z-clip table top fasteners.  I also like the user-friendliness of the design with nothing to obstruct the legs of the diners.  The bead on the aprons is a nice detail.  The faux thickness technique really looks good on the quarter sawn grain orientation, and helps reduce the weight by quite a bit.  Now you only need two stong guys to move it instead of four  :D.    That table will be around for a long, long time. 

You cannot go out and buy a table like this from a furniture store.  I simply love it!

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Very nice craftsmanship and a very fortunate niece.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That's a real nice table Scott. Those top mounting clamps are awesome and I attach my legs on the corners as you have done.  Gotta love that smile. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A very nice piece. Those knots would,did,catch my eye. That table will be around for years. Good idea about having the legs that way too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Nice work Scott.
I find my "junk" boards make the best looking stuff  ;D

She looks very happy  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tree Feller

That's great work, Scott. That table is solidly constructed but still has clean lines. Well done, Sir.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

scsmith42

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 30, 2012, 05:03:30 AM
Scott or anyone else, how do you cut out for the butterfly piece? Where do you get the butterfly piece?

Any plans for the rest of the lumber?

David, thanks for the kind words.  Regarding the butterfly you can either buy or make your own template, and you use a router bit with a special bushing to cut the recess and make the butterfly itself.  Whiteside (made right here in NC) router bits has a nice kit that includes the bit, bushing's, and centering mandrel, which is what I used.  I made my butterfly from a piece of red oak crotch.  It has a nice, subtle effect to it.

Re the rest of the lumber, I'll keep it aside for "shop" projects.

Here are a couple of close up shots of the butterfly.

scsmith42

Quote from: Larry on September 30, 2012, 07:02:18 AM
Really nice table.  It has just the right combination of defect to make it interesting.

I'm curious about using CA and charcoal for filler.  First time I've heard of it used this way.  Does it have any advantage over epoxy?

Larry, I picked that trick up from a friend of mine that turns bowls from heavily spalted lumber.  The nice thing about CA versus epoxy is that it is much faster.  You start by masking off around the spot being filled.  Then grind up some wood charcoal into a fine dust, and fill in the defect with it.  Drip in some medium CA until everything is saturated, and then let it set for a while (don't use an accelerator on it).  After an hour or so, you can sand it down, and if it still has some minor voids, repeat as before.

I've used epoxy before, but the nicest thing about CA is that it's fast.

scsmith42

Hilltop366

Very nice work.
Wondering what CA stands for I'm guessing it is not chartered accountant.
Looks like there is a short story written on the inside of the base.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks for the info Scott. I've learned a lot on here and ya'll still amaze me with the "trick" tools.  ;)

Scott....you have inspired me to try new things in the shop.
Danny has not moved me yet.  :D

clww

Great work on that table for your pretty niece. I'm sure she will treasure it for years to come.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 30, 2012, 12:48:10 PM

Just you wait.  I got one coming that will move even a cranky old rascal like you  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 30, 2012, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 30, 2012, 12:48:10 PM

Just you wait.  I got one coming that will move even a cranky old rascal like you  ;D.

smiley_sweat_drop That's what I was afraid of...... :)

Coyote

isawlogs

Scott, that is a very nice heirloom you have made your neice! Nice work bud!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Lud

Real nice, Scott.  It moved me too.  I read this section every day for inspiration .  Danny's work moves me too.  Every day I have movement is a good day........ :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Lud on October 01, 2012, 08:30:56 AM
Real nice, Scott.  It moved me too.  I read this section every day for inspiration .  Danny's work moves me too.  Every day I have movement is a good day........ :D :D

When I mill or dry lumber, I'm looking for a minimum of movement.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!