iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stacking uneven lengths

Started by snyd1437, April 26, 2004, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyd1437

I'm about to have my 3000+ bf of mostly white oak sawn from Isabel (finally!) and I'm wondering what is the best way to prepare the site for air dry stacks.  The logs vary in length from 8-16' long (there are about 30-40 logs).  Should I cut all of the logs to the nearest foot and have different piles for for the different lengths?  I read that it is important to have stickers at the ends (+/- 3") of the stack, but how would that happen with uneven boards?

I'm planning to build a timberframe shed from most of this wood (it pains me to use white oak) and it will require about 1000 bf for siding and flooring so the quality doesn't have to be furniture grade.  Can I get away with 4 cinder blocks per 1000 bf?  I don't have a lot of time to prep for the cut this weekend and I figure @ 5,000 lbs / 1000 bf for 75%MC white oak, that's only 1250 PSF on the ground...about half the usual concrete foundation footing calculated load.

I'm figuring on cantelievering the stacks so the weight is distributed evenly across two 4x4 with 4x4 or 4x8 cross supports every 2'.

raycon

Looks like you have a lot of overhang I'd support the ends as well.  
For the base  - what I do is take a log thats not looking to good (everything looks good to me  ::)) and mill it into a 10"x 10" x length(12-16ft usually). Then with the chainsaw I chop it into 10"  lengths making cubes and use these in place of cinder blocks -- if you go this route mark your milled surfaces the chainsaw chopping might not be so accurate. The blocks come in handy for other things as well two stacks, two high and a board across and I can clean the gutter with out a ladder.

Lot of stuff..

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

snyd,

I'm just starting at this myself, but I read somewhere here on the forum about a set-up and have five stacks so far and it works good so far.

Using your diagram I am using three cinder blocks on each runner that is a 6x6. I then cut 4x4s for the cross piecies. Seperate stack for each length of board.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Kedwards

I take 8 cinder blocks, 2 4x6x12, 5 4x4x4 and lay the blocks out in 2 rows, level up the blocks and lay the 4x6 on top lengthwise and the 4x4 equally perpendicular to the 4x6's then I lay a sticker on each 4x4
Make sure your stickers are dead straight and the same thickness up the stack.. Your picture looks right except 2 more cinder blocks.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Thank You Sponsors!