iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glossary of Milling Terms

Started by Dracomeister, August 28, 2014, 12:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracomeister

Sorry Guys (and Gals), one more Noob question.  Is there a glossary somewhere of milling terms?  As a wood worker I obviously understand some references (kerf, set, rake, gullet, etc) but I get lost trying to read some of the posts strictly associated with mills and milling (I figured out cant from buying, you guessed it, a cant hook).  If one of you would aim me in the correct direction I might be spared from showing my ignorance by constantly asking for translations in the posts!  Who knows, given 20 or 30 years I might even be capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation (something my wife swears is not possible!).  Thanks
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

YellowHammer

Sure, just look up a few inches, above the Gray Grey box and below the Kasco add and you'll see the Forum "Extras" menu.  In there you will find the Forestry Forum dictionary "Woodopedia" and definitions page.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dracomeister

Thank You Sir! you are truly a Gentleman and a Scholar!  Since I'm what you'd call "Computer Challenged" I'll have to dig about and see what other gems of wisdom are lurking just outside the glow of the campfire!

CW
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

Thank You Sponsors!