iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixing up an old barn

Started by boatman, December 31, 2014, 08:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

I bought a farm with a barn that is about 130 years old.  It was last used for horses so the bottom is divided up into cinderblock stalls,  so the floor is well supported. The metal roof leaked enough that one of the 10x10x60 foot top plates I mostly hollow and the other is bad at both ends. I expect to find many of the posts rotten on top as a result.

This barn will be my project for the year. So fari have filled a dumpster with old barn junk and am just starting to clearthe floor of hay.

boatman

boatman

boatman

I picked up a few 10x10's today. One is for to replace a post that was removed at some point. The others for joists, the original joists are 36 feet long but a few were eaten away by bored horses and I will scarf the last third of those. There have a block wall under them now for support. 

I plan on bladed scarfs for the post tops and I don't recall the name of the scarf type for the plates. Those were 60 foot long originally. I expect I will use three 24 footers when I replace them.  If I can't salvage any of it. 

I have helped build a couple of barns as an unskilled laborer and I am not a carpenter. This will be quite a project. After I replace the missing post I will start with the floor and go up from there. I expect I will be buying some scaffolding soon.

BCsaw

Great old barn! Wish I had one. Good luck with the project and keep us up to date with pics.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Jim1611

That's going to be quite an undertaking. Good to see the barn being salvaged as opposed to being destroyed. Just imagine all the work that went into it!
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

boatman

A retired professional barn builder looked at it and said it was built very well. He mentioned he had never seen one constructed in this manner. Today I am having dinner with a couple of timber frame builder and I will be getting as much advice as possible.

kwendt

Awesome project.... And a thread I'll keep following. Beautiful barn...
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kgb12158

Any of these barns is worth restoring.  They are a lot of work.  The one I finished 2 years ago took 3 years.  Replacing 6 of 12 posts and repairing the bottom of 4 more.  The plates needed ends only.  There were no sill timbers or floor joist left.  Really a big job for my first try but SOOO rewarding. 
Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.
Only 23 months to full time timber framing

boatman

Kgb,

Did you use a chain mortiser or drill and chisel? I am considering buying a big angle drill for this project.

boatman

It looks like it may be dove tailed joints. Judging by the wedges. That will make it interesting.

kgb12158

Boatman

I used  a Millersfalls and 2" chisel.  At the end of the day I was tired but no lead cord, hearing protection or chances of cutting my fingers off. 
I did use the chain saw for larger timber cut offs. 
I always use a leather headed Garland #3 hammer for chisel work.  Very little impact on my 61 year old elbows.   
Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.

kwendt

Quote from: kgb12158 on January 06, 2015, 02:06:18 PM
I used  a Millersfalls and 2" chisel.  At the end of the day I was tired but no lead cord, hearing protection or chances of cutting my fingers off.  I always use a leather headed Garland #3 hammer for chisel work.  Very little impact on my 61 year old elbows.

Oh wow... where did you find the Garland #3? Pieh Tool?
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: kwendt on January 06, 2015, 03:00:48 PM

Oh wow... where did you find the Garland #3? Pieh Tool?

Looks like you are in Maine.  You know they are made by Garland in Saco, Maine, right?  Garland also sells them directly on Amazon and you can always find used ones on eBay.

I just got one for X-mas!
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

I bought a new #3 and some repair parts online in 2013. I think I got them from Hammersource, or something like that. Like Brian said, they are available online all over the place. I like the #3 Garland. I busted up two of them and wore out a third on a white oak project in 2013, but normally they last a very long time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kgb12158

I've had luck over the years looking for tools in Antiques shops and tool sales.  The Martin Donnelly auction held twice a year in Nashua NH is always good for a couple.  The next auction is April 17th and 18th.  I seldom buy at the auction.  I do all my buying outside in the parking lot.  There can be as many as 40-50 vendors.  The Mom and Pop sellers are always the best.  The guys making a living are less willing to bargain.   I often find the #3s for ~$10-15 used.  New they run ~$50-60.   The replacement leathers can be $20 a pair but they last a long time as Dave said.   Plus saving the wear and tear on the body is worth it. 

boatman

Well. I'm not starting business doing this so I will keep the tools basic

I have an auger, a brace, 1-1/14 inch chisel, a few handsaws, and a chainsaw.

I am considering a 3" slick. A 2" chisel, and big drill. Maybe the makita 4310.

Might also get a corner chisel

Any other recommendations.

I have. Basic layout tools.

kgb12158

Boatman
My 2 cents. 
I would also recommend a 1 1/2" chisel depending on the frame size you are repairing. An old barn is likely a 2" frame.  At the risk of belaboring the obvious a 2" frame represents 2" mortises and tenons that are 2" from the timber reference face.  The slick is a great tool that I don't use a lot.  I use it in wide faces that need to be cleaned up like scarfs and wide tenons.  A good 2" chisel or plane usually meets the need. 
Good luck send progress pictures.

grweldon

That old barn is a work of art!  Seems to be very intricate in it's design.  Wouldn't you have loved to know the people who designed and built it and watched it take shape?  I wonder how long it took.  I wonder if any type of steam-driven cranes or lifts were used.  Probably not.  I see structures like that barn and I am in awe...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

boatman

I am slowly making progress on the barn. Its been cold, but that can be good for indoor barn work. Almost done with the cleaning thought I do admit I pushed a lot of old hay into the stalls below to deal with later.

Off to the sawmill today to put in the order for wood. I will build a couple of mortise and tenoned sawhorses as practice pieces before I start on the big wood.

boatman

boatman

it's been a process over a few years.  More will be done this week. 

1880 barn in Northern Michigan.  Mostly original siding, hemlock.  Well built.

jayhdjr

I see way to many old barns, just slowly falling down. Love seeing one saved !
Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

boatman

Here is what some of the beams looked like.  From the ground they looked fine. 

flyingparks

Man that does not look easy. Sure is rewarding I bet

samandothers

Brad_bb

Very nice!  In Illinois and indiana so many are left go to the elements and time.  In Ohio and Pennsylvania it seems like they take pride in and take care of their old barns.  Glad to see you caring for that Michigan barn!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DPatton

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2018, 08:26:24 PM
Very nice!  In Illinois and indiana so many are left go to the elements and time.

Brad,

I see the same thing daily here in Nebraska  :(. It's just a real shame to watch these old majestic structures just deteriorate and fall apart  :-\. I guess the upkeep is just too daunting and dangerous or materials too costly for most.
  Whenever I see one in disrepair I always think to myself what could be done to save it or is it just to far gone to be brought back to life? Having grown up on my family homestead farm I love to explore a good barn and learn the history that took place inside.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

tburch

Looks like it's coming along.   Quite the project there!    Keep at it!   We love pictures and updates.
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Wisconsintimber

Wow, It's looking nice!  A lot of work I'm sure.  We were wanting to relocate a timber frame barn for a house a few years ago, but couldn't find the right one so went a different direction.

Tin Horse

Great building. I've got a barn very similar to that one. It has also had some work done and more to come. It was a priority for me when we bought our property. Too
 many of these rare and unique barns are let go. Often because of failing foundation work.
I love to see these buildings being saved. They're sure worth it.
Awesome job. ;D
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

barbender

That is a fine old building, a work of art as far as I am concerned. You're doing great work restoring it!
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!