iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Why thank you Sir.

Very little work done on the house. We been in a heat wave the last two weeks. :o Topping out in the 90's with heat indexing in the 100's. :o So I been taking it very easy.

fishfighter

As dry as it is, I been on the backhoe doing dirt work. DanG bucket is skipping across the dirt it's so dry. :o Due to neglect of my pond the last couple years, I had a bunch of willow trees growing around it. Heck, they were easy 20' tall. My pond is now about 3' low due to no rain the last month+. :o I do want it to drop another 2'. I will be digging it bigger for the dirt to move it around the guest house yard.

fishfighter

Got out this morning and hung a door in the front bedroom. DanG oak was super hard. Had to sharpen my chisels a couple times. Also had to remove a piece of the door casing. That made things easy to install this heavy door.

I did resaw and planed some oak 1 1/2"x 5/16" thick stock that will be used for door casing trimming door stop. It just got to hot to do anymore. :(

Oh, still have to sand and paint the door.

Darrel

That is one good looking door!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

You probably have the only solid Oak doors in the entire state of Louisiana.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Maybe so Lynn. :D I did have to use 4 1/2" hinges due to the weight. :o I do have an idea that is outside the box I might use. Still thinking on it. ;D Will let the cat out the bag in a day or two. :D Always thinking and love to try a different way. ;D

There is a good chance of some heavy rains here starting Friday and last 2-3 days. We really could used a bunch. Just maybe a TS to form in the Gulf. :o

Magicman

Yes, we will have a Tropical Event to contend with.  My hope that it will only be the much needed rain.

I'll be anxious to see your "outside of the box" idea.  smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Outside the box, a very good place to think and live. 
1992 LT40HD

Briankinley2004

A continuous hinge works well on a heavy door. We do alot of lead lined doors for hospital CT rooms and most have either a continuous hinge or floor mounted hinge. Some of them we have to put wheels on as well. I doubt your oak doors are as heavy as lead if they are dry. 4-1/2" ball bearing hinges should work fine if so. Just make sure the jambs are thicker and fastened well

fishfighter

The jam is well secured I used 2" long screws thru the hinges, shims and into 2x4's. Not going anywhere. Yep, bearing hinges is what I used. Problem there, there is no pin. So only way to remove the door is unscrew it. :(

Did finished out the door and jam trim this morning. Came out nice. ;D Heck, even the wife liked it. :D Forgot my phone at the house. :( 

fishfighter

Last couple days I been working on the back porch. So dang hot, so just looking for shade. ;D

First off was to install some 2x6's in between the joist. Once I got that done, I slapped on some tar/diesel mixture to protect it from bugs and rot. I hope it works. Were I had installed SYP and painted it with this mixture, no wood bees had touched it. ;D

After that, I went and got some SYP 4/4x6" boards. To clear the edges and make sure that all of them are the same size, I edged them on the tablesaw.

Sawed out 30 and resticked them close by.

Now, I was going to past them thru my planner and then T&G them. The more I got to thinking about that, I saw that by doing that, there would be a good chance of trapping water. That will lead to rot.

So, this is my plan. Paint the under side with the tar mixture and on the top and sides, paint that with hot linseed oil. Now that tar mixture does dry out all the way to the touch. One can rub it and none comes off. But, just something about having a black deck will not work for me. :D

In that first picture, I did paint a couple boards on the under side.

Now if only I would get some rain here. Been having to run a pump 24/7 just to put some O2 in the water in my pond. It's close to 2' low now. Had a couple fish die on me. :(

Got to love blue water. :D

Magicman

Plan on painting the Diesel/tar on the bark side of the boards and the pith side will go up.  That way if there is any cupping the edges will tend to go downward and not present a trip hazard.

Looks like the major moisture from Alberto will miss both of us.

fishfighter

Lynn, the way I had sawed up these deck boards, was most quarter sawed. And yes, painting the cup side only.

Back to using linseed oil. Before applying that, I'm going to stain out the boards to get them a bit gray.

Yep, that storm will not help with rain. :( Every afternoon, T storms have been popping off. Being were I am located at close to the Mississippi River and a big bend in it, that kills off the storms just about every time. I can watch the radar and sure enough, it happens. :(

fishfighter

Got the decking done today. And yes, I paid for it big time. >:( Of course a few boards had a bow in them. Using a 1/4" spacer to keep things right, I had one board that was easy 6+" that I had to pull in. A 2x4 and a couple 4x6's, I was prying that one in place. Well, something slip as I was pulling. Well, you can guess what happen. :D Got some real nice cuts and missing skin on my arms. Had on a white tee shirt that was red. >:(

Anyway, finished,  other then cutting the ends and I have to custom cut a end board that needs to be 6 1/2" wide. All others are 5 1/2" wide. Oh well. ;D

Magicman

Ah, you will grow some more bark back onto those arms.   whiteflag_smiley

Looks like Alberto will miss both of us.

fishfighter

Heck Lynn, three days in a row I got a chunk of skin ripped off. >:( Started knocking my head into a diesel pump when filling up my truck. Had to stop filling due to the amount of blood poring out the gash. :o

Finished up that deck this morning.

This is the stain color I will be using. A mixture of steel wool and vinegar. 

Kind of gave it some green, brown, reds and gray. The wife likes it. ;D

Oh, a picture of that oak door trimmed out.

Magicman

If your Wife likes it, you will be happy.   smiley_love

Darrel

The wife likes it, good deal!  :)
I like it too, but that really doesn't matter does it.  :D
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

I do like it some much, I started making a couple gallons of the stain. Takes about three weeks.

Last couple days, been taking it very easy and licking all my wounds. Did get out at day break to do a outside clean up. Had a lot of cut offs that I had to get out to my burn pile.

Other then that, it's so DanG HOT! Heat index has been hitting triples. :o No cooling within sight. :(

Got to do a road trip to pick up some planner knifes. Got a lot of oak I need plane out. When I make that trip, I will be checking on a fellow that makes molding. looking at get some 3 1/2" crown done. We will see. ;D

WolverineLiving

You Sir are an inspiration and your work is top shelf! I'm 54 and whine about my aches and pains all of the time, but after reading this I'm embarrassed and will shut up  :-[ The place is looking great and you should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Best of luck to you, can't wait to see her done!

fishfighter

Why thank you sir.

Got out and did some dirt work. Broke down my burn pile. It started when I was clearing the land and there was a lot of dirt in it along with everything else. Took a few hours with the backhoe and tractor.

The wife is a happy camper again. 8) Heck, she was talking of planting all kinds of flowers. Not going to happen. Still have to dig and install the rest of the sewage line right thru the middle.  :D

Of course I had to start a new pile. Did that when I dug up willow trees. ;D

Noon time, heat index at 103F and called it a day.

fishfighter

Just a little update. Really haven't did anything the last couple weeks. Due to heat and back under the weather. Got up out of the lounge chair and blacked out. Well, that screwed up my lower back again. >:( Still no relief from the pain, so I guess I will have to go in for a shot. >:(

Now if only we would get some rain. Very dry here. :o

Briankinley2004

Looks like the rain is coming this weekend. I just canceled an offshore trip. 90% chance in Port Fourchon for Saturday

samandothers

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Heal!

fishfighter

Why thanks guys. A lot of resting going on here.

Going to be a grandpaw again in about 50 days. Was drinking my morning coffee on the patio this morning and saw this.

She was just finishing up laying her eggs. :D

Thank You Sponsors!