iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stone wall replacement

Started by Deek18, December 10, 2019, 06:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deek18

Hello everyone ,

I am new here and have been reading some of the post but cannot seem to find the info I am looking for. I have a couple of old barns that the stone wall are most likely beyond repair and need to be replaced. We bought the farm a year ago and are in the process of setting it up for animal grazing and maybe a few small crops.  I want to replace the walls with cement block or a combination of a pour wall and block. I do not know how to support the barn while i remove a section because the way it looks to me is that the framing is resting on the outer course of stone and the main beams and floor beams seem to be resting on the inner course of stone. I have a construction background in carpentry mostly but have no experience with timber framing techniques. I have not cut and siding or floor boards to get a closer look at it yet but from what I can see it seems if I crib the main beams and the floor beams , when I remove a section of wall the upper walls will not be supported. Is this the case ?  I will try to post a few pictures and can always get more if needed. Thank you for any and all help

jayhdjr

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Great looking barn you have there, by all means try saving it. I can't help with your questions but someone will be along shortly with more information on the subject. 

Welcome, Jay
Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

nativewolf

Love old barns too!  So, there are many barn saving/loving alliances, coalitions, etc.  Among the best are PA, NY and VT.  

http://www.barncoalition.org/

http://barnalliance.org/

The thing that kills barns is poor roofs.  IF the roofs are sound everything else can be saved.  I would not immediately write off that limestone/sandstone block foundation.  As long as moisture has not ruined the subsurface it can likely be saved.  After all it kept the barn up for 100 years or more.  

Good luck.  Don't be afraid to just follow those links and keep bugging people.  I would think that, with research, you'll find a WI heritage barn group.  I know there is one in IL.  

Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!