iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12" round milled log home help please!!

Started by DavidH, October 22, 2004, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidH

Hello everyone,
I was directed here to get some help with my log home. Im new to these boards so please bare with me.
We have a 20 yr old lodgepole full round milled log home that was neglected for a long time. The old stain was taken off, neutralized, and every log was hand sanded (long story)Anyway, by the time we got around the whole house, almost 5000 sq. ft of logs, some 30' and higher the logs especially on south side had developed blackness, greying, cracking, etc. Now the clock is ticking cause of temps. and I have no clue, I'm guessing sapstain, mold, mildew. Tried a test spot with bleach on a spot but didnt seem to budge anything? I gotta get a stain on this house, but not until I clear up this black stuff thats on logs. Dont want it to multiply under the stain. Dont have digital camera, but I was looking thru some old posts and on 6/18 Ron Wenrich posted a pic of some logs and if you look at them, that is pretty much what logs look like, along with a lot of greying, high UV hit hard on south and west side, cracking, splitting.
Anyone willing to help us out? What can I use to clean this up with? Oh, Tim-Bor already applied, its been about a month. Rainy, damp weather has really slowed us up.
Cleaners, brightners, oil or water base. What do you wood professionals recomend in high humidity areas?
Thanks, Dave

pappy

DavidH,

check out this site and maybe give them a call.  They're really helpful.

http://www.permachink.com/

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

UNCLEBUCK

Hello Dave, I guess if you could see how deep the dark coloring goes into the log maybe you could just skim off a thin layer with a wide chisel to make it look new or a light sandblasting . I dont know much about the bleach or high pressure power washer methods but maybe you can find a good sikkens stain that is capable of bringing out a better shade of color . As for filling the cracks just a clear caulking would do the job , goes on white but turns crystal clear after it dries , can caulk even after your stain goes on.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I forgot to mention that I use to use a product called "organiclear" that I sprayed on logs with a hand pump garden type sprayer to kill mold and fungis and to try and keep logs in good shape from like a week of humid hot summer rain . I use to buy it in 5 gallon jugs and I know its still available at farm stores and elsewhere , I came upon a bumble bee nest while spraying and I directed otwards the bees flying towards me and they melted so it is powerful but somehow safe enough to purchase without a pesticide applicators license. Good Luck
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!