iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory Timbers?

Started by Don P, May 15, 2017, 08:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I am enjoying this thread.
I had never heard of poplar bark siding but a quick search and there it is.
I'm wondering how it lasts off of the tree.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don P

If it stays dry or can dry rapidly, as long as any I suppose. Chestnut was the old time stuff popularized around Linville, Blowing Rock and Hendersonville NC around the turn of the century. Now poplar has taken its place, just as it has in the forest.

We got it to the log yard across the road from the barn this morning, piece of cake. Al looked like he was ready to go jousting with that thing dangling out in front of him 40'  :D

We walked bunch of mountain afterwards, found some neat places and kept going a few times even though I knew I was outside of where we could get one out, nice land. We found 3 candidates and cleaned up behind this one, there were 2 good trailerloads of big slabs that will get further processing for something, I voted for dining or picnic tables.

Dave Shepard

I've moved some long ones with the back half of a running gear. This log would have made a 68'-6" 12"x12".

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

The first 60'er got set this afternoon. We lost one in the woods when we opened up a rotten spot inside... on the third face, bummer! We found and finished up another and Al got it to the site yesterday. The remaining three 60' beams will be scarfed, which will be fine. These ones tied together by the four 6x8 tie beams we made today are going to lock the log cribs together well.

Don P

We had to bail in the rain yesterday with just one tie beam in, those peeled poplar logs made a banana peel look positively sticky when they got wet, hopefully we'll get the other 3 ties and the other 60' plate up Wed.
I forgot to take the camera today but set up the trebuchet at a timberframer's house and got it chunking watermelons. When his son got in and saw what we were up to there was talk of watermelon skeet shooting  :D

samandothers

Quote from: Don P on July 01, 2017, 11:14:58 PM
I forgot to take the camera today but set up the trebuchet at a timberframer's house and got it chunking watermelons. When his son got in and saw what we were up to there was talk of watermelon skeet shooting  :D

Now this needs a picture!

Don P

I wasn't there for the mass-a-cree but apparently great fun was had by all protecting America from flying watermelons  :D I think we have a new sport.

The barn project made half the front page of the paper today and most of page 3, well it is a small town. We got the 4 tie beams and the other 60' plate zipped in this morning. Don and I worked in the woods yesterday and dropped another large poplar and began slabbing it up for a 40' beam, it'll get scarfed to make one of the remaining three 60' plates. After lunch today we finished it, cleaned up a bit and drug it out to the road. I got into a little grove of hawthorns and took them out while we were in there, I flat out hate hawthorns... and they apparently return the sentiment. Al will finish pegging down the ties and plates and then get the beam to the site tomorrow then we're off to another part of the farm to get some more.

I've bought a little Gehl 3825 bobcat and have been playing with it here widening the road around the barn, moving mountains of sawdust and building a road to the backside of the high tunnel.  I'm used to hand and foot controls, these are all on the sticks, probably should have held out but it is a nice little older unit that has low hours and was well kept from what I can tell. Should have bought one years ago. Young men buy tools, old men buy equipment  :).

Don P

We're slowly plugging away, both 60' plates and tie beams are up on the log cribs. The first scarfed 60' plate is up on its' 9x12 white oak posts to carry the first section of shed roof. The end posts were grooved to accept the tenons on the log extensions that form the 10' section of wall beyond the log cribs.

There was another continuation section of shed 10'  toward the camera in that shot that will be done in timber on a stemwall, but the rafters over the log cribs and this first lofted shed will go in first, then the mason will rotate in while the shed off the far side is being done. They are working on the stemwall for the south shed, to the right end right now.

The rafters were log, flattened on the top side for the skip sheathing. We are doing a minimal skim, code says to keep it less than 30% of diameter. We are letting crook wander side to side and trying to saw the flattest face to preserve the most "meat". The short rafters fit in between the posts on the Lucas but we have some up to 21' and they need to come in and out from the end. We set up 40' of roller table and sawed a 4x12x21' to support a pair of V'ed bunks that support the rafters. We load the rafter outside onto the V bunks with the forks on the loader and then roll it in, saw, roll out, unload and then debark. About 2 minutes of sawing and 10 minutes of debarking.

Partway through the crew needed some 2x6's so we loaded some logs onto the roller tables without our 4x12. We were sawing our way down through the log and neglected to think about how far down the blade drops while swinging between horizontal and vertical. Lucas blades don't quite make it through steel rollers  ::) oops!

samandothers

Ouch!

Great thread, thanks!

WDH

What a great project and a fine job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

We got drafted to help reset the old upper rafters this past week. The crew was trying to reuse them since the span is relatively short and they could install a collar tie to help stiffen them. They set them up on a couple of beams in the haybarn to duplicate those long top plate beams and we sawed 2x6's to go on top of the severely swaybacked old rafters. They then ran strings and shimmed the 2x6's to create a flat plane for the new skip sheathing that will go on under the metal roof.

samandothers

Very ingenious.  Looking good.

btulloh

That's a big structure.  Nice work.

Do you have a guy working for you named Johnny Jett?
HM126

Don P

No, I think he is with Barnwood Builders?

This might work for a link to the article in the paper a week or two ago;
http://www.independencedeclaration.com/content/preserving-family-history#.WXxfMqswMqQ.yahoomail

btulloh

The link leads to the first paragraph of the article, but you have to be a subscriber to get the rest of it.  Sounds interesting.  Wish I could read the whole thing.

Just kidding with the Johnny Jett question - your picture reminded me of that show.
HM126

samandothers

I was able to open and read.  Great article about the history of the farm. 

Don I believe you got a call out in the article, well deserved!  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping Lots of local talent!

Who were the 'experts' from Floyd mentioned in the article?  What was their role?

btulloh

2nd time's a charm.  When I clicked on it again I got the whole article.  Pretty neat.  Quite a story behind that structure.  It's really good that a lot of those old structures are behind rehab'd, preserved and re-used.

I've been to Floyd a few times.  Great area.  My grandmother was from Floyd.  She moved to Halifax county (Alton) when she married my grandfather.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us informed.

BT

HM126

Don P

It has been a fun project, a bit more than any of us anticipated but we're having a good time.
Al Anderson, Timber Works of Interest, is the GC on the project, the two of us Don's are getting to play in the woods providing the logs and timbers they need and pitching in when they need a hand. A couple of our friends are pitching in at my sawmill when they have time sawing up our "bycatch", logs that are other than the sizes we can use directly, into floor and sheathing boards. We used logs from 10-14" diameter to make the logs used in the cribs and are using the tops of those trees in the 6-8" range for the rafters. Of course we got into some whoppers doing the beams and are using the slabs to make some loft floor joists and more lumber. Big and crooked logs are being sawn into boards. Firewood has gone in about every direction. It's been pretty efficient thus far. We've kicked around trying to make charcoal out of the slab piles.

btulloh, I had looked Jett up to see what company he was with, didn't know he was a household name  :D. Lightening took out the dish a decade or so ago. The nice lady called to offer us a new one but I told her the pipe that was left standing in the yard was a great rain gauge holder and I didn't want to give that up. She didn't understand.

I enjoy Floyd, they have done great things with their downtown area in the past few years, nice timberframing everywhere.

samandothers

This weekend was 'Floyd Fest' down on the Parkway.

Don who were the folks mentioned in the article from Floyd and their roles?

Don P

The guys from Floyd are Al Anderson and Kevin Morley, they're actually from Pilot (Al's wife and Kevin's sister are also Blue Ridge Yurts). Al and Kevin and their helper Peter are the ones doing the reconstruction. We are making the materials and they are doing the joinery and construction.

samandothers

Y'all are doing great work as well as the others and thanks for sharing the project.

Don P

Quote from: WDH on May 17, 2017, 07:11:20 AM
Don't run over the chainsaw like I did   :-\.

Well...
At the end of the day yesterday we had dropped a tree in a particularly thick hawthorn grove and after getting an ear piercing that I hadn't really counted on I decided to stay after and clean it up a little. I got lazy hopping up and down from the loader and put the saw on the back deck and forgot. I was popping out stumps heading uphill and it slid off the back, and then I backed up and saw it smushed into the mud. It still runs and cuts but it broke the bottom handlebar mount. It's full of epoxy but it ain't gonna last long.

So I have an 034 that needs a cylinder and piston job but it doesn't look like there is an aftermarket one  ??? I think I'll try an 034 super and hopefully it'll be an easy bolt up. I can't imagine the bottom is different on those two saws.

Don P

I remembered to take the camera today and got a few progress pics. The timberframers have left. The sheathing is going on the roof then metal then on to sawing siding and closing it in.
This is the west side I've photo'd most.

inside the west shed, the joists for the catwalk to access the lofts is there as well as the breezeway between log cribs.

The east side;

The southeast corner showing the south shed

The guys have been sawing more sheathing boards the past couple of days, there's a few feet of that going up there!

samandothers

Don, why the solid sheathing on the sides?  Is it related to anchoring for wind protection?  Sheathing pine?  Really looks good. Y'all have done a ton of work!

Don P

I think more work than anyone imagined  :D.

Most of the logs and timbers above the lower white oak parts are tulip poplar. We've been making 1x6's and 1x8's for the sheathing out of the "bycatch". Logs that were too big or too small or too short. We may have to drop another tree or two but cleanup should provide the majority. I like to fill the ends solid, it looks better when outside, it makes it easier to seal any exterior walls up top and it keeps the wind under the overhang from smacking right into the metal in that most vulnerable area.

Once the roof is on we'll try to get the west wing sided first, we've made some boards out of the white oak as we've gone along. It would be nice to have it available for lambing if needed. Then loft floors and lots of siding.

Thank You Sponsors!