iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Man of the Maple Tree

Started by Okrafarmer, March 14, 2012, 01:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Just think if you had rotated the log 30 degrees before cutting, you would have had the image of the Space Shuttle flying overhead while Thomas Jefferson and others were signing the Declaration of Independence.   
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

WDH

Opticsguy, you have a good eye  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: opticsguy on March 17, 2012, 04:59:38 PM
Just think if you had rotated the log 30 degrees before cutting, you would have had the image of the Space Shuttle flying overhead while Thomas Jefferson and others were signing the Declaration of Independence.

I'll keep an eye out for something like that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: LarryRB on March 15, 2012, 08:29:48 AM
I am just wondering if you have a book match to it?

I have to go back and look, but actually I think the match may have been an outer slab.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Well, a week or so later, I hope to get back to the whack tomorrow. As long as the mill is not out of whack.  :-\  Anyway, I have three more logs to saw (remember this takes me an inordinately long time!). It may take me all afternoon to mill the three logs. Two of them are pretty good size. I need to try some blades that are specifically for hardwood, and maybe they will stay sharp longer. But my offbearing procedure is probably what slows me down the most. I am trying to improve my style, but right now I am lucky if I get 50 bf an hour. Maybe with the larger logs I will do better. But when the maple is done, I have a treat for after that-- HOLLY! American Holly! Four logs, about 8-10" diameter. When I have the holly finished, then I will take the holly and the maple, and the wood gnome, to the kiln. And hopefully the last load I took will be ready-- I need to time milling the holly until I know my wood that's in the kiln is ready, so the holly, hopefully, doesn't spend much time green.

Magicman

I am still wondering if that was Holly that I sawed a few weeks ago?  Maybe I can get in the woods soon and check Holly bark out.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Well there are several kinds. I will post pictures. American Holly seems to be the one most likely to achieve millable size. The American Holly is definitely white or ivory color inside (the wood even seems to bleach out a little after it is cut, it is more of a very light yellowy or vanilla color before the surface dries.) . The trick, I've been told, is to get it dried in the kiln immediately after milling, but I am by no means an expert, so we are trying to achieve this as a learning process here.

Okrafarmer

Oh, and American Holly bark is usually quite smooth and gray, kind of resembles beech bark. Of course there are knots every two inches or so and prickly hard green leaves every two millimeters or so on the twiggy little branches. I will definitely mill any piece 8" and up that appears to be even apologetically straight.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 20, 2012, 12:06:43 AMThe trick, I've been told, is to get it dried in the kiln immediately after milling...

You've been told right. You also need to saw it the same day it's felled if you can, especially in warm weather. In cooler weather it may be possible to wait a bit before milling without the lumber staining.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

Unfivefortunately, it was cut down about a week ago, or a day or two more. I'm hoping the cut-down time is not nearly as important as the milling-to-kiln time.

WDH

The clock is definitely ticking on you with this hot weather.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Yes and unfortunately again, I have just come down with Strep throat. And I am under pressure to help out with some other "urgent" projects.  :(
I have a doc appointment in an hour. Mrs. Okra made me say "Ah" and she saw a huge white spot on the back of my throat. Hope that isn't TMI.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 20, 2012, 11:02:59 AM
she saw a huge white spot on the back of my throat. Hope that isn't TMI.

GRITS.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Good guess, but I think not. I went to the doc today and they did a test and it came back negative for strep, so it's just a nasty virus.  :-\

I milled up two maple logs today, took me four hours. About 200 bf.  >:(

Thank You Sponsors!