iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Ian

Started by caveman, September 26, 2022, 10:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Stay safe, hope you guys get through this with minimal damage.

caveman

Hang in there. We lost power about 20 minutes ago and we aren't supposed to be in the thick of it for 14 more hours. So far, it has been a nice, rainy and windy day. I hate to see the coast tomorrow. 
Caveman

beenthere

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 28, 2022, 07:52:27 AM
Now we wait..
Raider Bill
Are you now in the path? Looks to be centered between Ft. Myers and Tampa. Hope all are safe from harm. 

Google Maps!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fg%2F11tdkzm_50
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

No, but member Florida sure is!
Over night it changed course more to the east. Got us out of the cross hairs somewhat.
Like Caveman it's a normal windy, rainy day so far but it's building up.
Fire Dept is still answering calls for service. Got a couple structure fires going due to power lines.
Once it hits landfall, we'll see which way it's going to go. I think it's big enough to cut right across the state and enter the Atlantic.
Calling it a Cat 4 leaning on a Cat 5
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

florida

Rain has slowed but the wind gusts are just terrible.. The eyeball is ashore over the beaches which are all under 4-5' of water already. We are on the county ERS grid so still have power although it's flickering. Both my kids just a short distance away are black out now. It looks to do coming more east now but I'm good with the eye coming over. All the people who stayed on the beaches are wishing they hadn't now. I threw the breakers for the AC, pool, and the well equipment. I don't want a brown out burning them up. 
This is scary stuff. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Raider Bill

Wind is picking up! I'm told the storm surge is emptying Tampa Bay and pulling it south to Member Florida's area.
Wild Bill lost his power about 30 minutes ago. He lives 3 miles from me.
Cops have gone to shelter unless it is a dire emergency. Soon, they will be all called into shelter.
Our FD has 3 structure fires they are working with one being a 2nd alarm. Got to think it's pretty hard to fight a fire in 40-50 MPH winds and gusts to 70.
They have all 3 shifts on. One shift is working the fires and the other 2 are hunkering down with everything that runs ready to go.
I'm at my desk trying to clean up loose ends.

caveman

My son in law, who is on a trouble truck for the City of Lakeland, came by and fixed the shorted lines that feed my road.  He is out working in this mess for the next few hours until it gets really rough.  We are getting pretty good gusts here now.  He has some long days ahead.

Florida, stay safe.  
Caveman

B.C.C. Lapp

Good luck and stay safe guys.   
I went through a mild hurricane in NH back in the eighties. It was only a cat 1 barely above a tropical storm but that was bad enough for me.  I cant imagine a cat 4 or 5 storm.  

Prayers out for all the folks in this storms way.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Raider Bill

Looks like it's just churning up Charlotte Harbor pushing the surge right at member Florida and Ft Myers.
He's just entering the eye right now.

firefighter ontheside

I just watched a video of the Naples fire department pushing their ladder truck out the door of the firehouse with 3' of water in it.  Apparently something had shorted on the truck from being wet and the truck was smoking.  They pushed it out to keep the firehouse from burning down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

We lost power for good about an hour ago. I was outside assessing the weather when I heard a tree break and jacks or transformers started popping. The weather is getting sporty now. Trees and limbs are hitting the ground. I'll start the generator in the morning and move it between the shop, my house and my parents' house, which is next door. I suspect we'll be w/o electricity for a week. The folks south and west of here took the real beating. Hopefully we can provide assistance to them. 
Caveman

bigblockyeti

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 28, 2022, 04:45:13 PM
I just watched a video of the Naples fire department pushing their ladder truck out the door of the firehouse with 3' of water in it.  Apparently something had shorted on the truck from being wet and the truck was smoking.  They pushed it out to keep the firehouse from burning down.
Yikes, a fire truck picked by the government and paid for by tax payers that can't get wet, I could totally believe than in the early 1900's.  The 21st century seems like by now we'd have fire trucks that could get wet.  Hopefully it cost under $70K

Southside

I doubt it was a pickup.  Our little County spent $1.2 million on a truck a year ago. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

A ladder truck can cost between $250 to 500K, sometimes (often) more. You need to understand these are complex pieces of equipment with miles of wiring and hundreds of feet of hydraulics. Even when a truck is parked inside the station it is usually connected to a landline to maintain the power being consumed to keep batteries and rechargeable equipment ready to go. Anyone who has worked in the fire service for any length of time can relate stories about apparatus that took years to work the bugs out of. Each one is hand built to a department's specs. Some of these 'bugs' can be life threatening for the people operating these trucks. We had a 'few' in my department during my tenure and one in particular that nearly got 3 of our guys killed because of a 'software bug'.

If you follow such things you will find a spate of incidents where one of the apparatus caught fire in a firehouse and burned the whole place down, it is not uncommon at all. A small department up the line from me 40 miles lost their whole station.

Fire trucks can not be built to be oblivious to everything and nobody would think driving a half million dollar truck through 3' of water is a good idea. I did it once during a rescue (hurricane) to get people out of a house and I knew I could likely lose that truck, but it was long enough(the truck) to get that family to ankle deep water that was not flowing so hard, we could all climb along the length of the truck. So the risk/reward question was a $300k truck against 5 lives. Guess who won. I did get the truck out, and the ground did not collapse under it as I thought it would, so win-win. The house 'went away' a few minutes later, so I was happy with my choice.

Fire apparatus and firefighters are not bullet proof, no matter what the movies would have us believe.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Raider Bill

Wonder if it was an electric fire truck although I can't imagine they are to the electric ladder truck yet. Engine probably.
Windy here. I still have power, Billy does not.
No real rain yet.

Old Greenhorn

SS, was that a tiller truck or a straight job? I have lost track of the pricing, but I know it keeps jumping.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Raider Bill

Next city north paid over 1mil for a tiller a few years ago.
Ours bought a 100ft Arial tower a year ago, $900k

Southside

It's a 100' something or other, don't know beyond that.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 28, 2022, 09:08:37 PM
A ladder truck can cost between $250 to 500K, sometimes (often) more. You need to understand these are complex pieces of equipment with miles of wiring and hundreds of feet of hydraulics. Even when a truck is parked inside the station it is usually connected to a landline to maintain the power being consumed to keep batteries and rechargeable equipment ready to go. Anyone who has worked in the fire service for any length of time can relate stories about apparatus that took years to work the bugs out of. Each one is hand built to a department's specs. Some of these 'bugs' can be life threatening for the people operating these trucks. We had a 'few' in my department during my tenure and one in particular that nearly got 3 of our guys killed because of a 'software bug'.

The $70K was tongue in cheek, I know what they cost.  As a consulting engineer I've worked with such apparatus manufacturers before and showed them how to make equipment more robust and reliable, that's not what they want, they want cheaper and that's what they get.  Military vehicles get the same explanation, the difference is they do want more robust and reliable and that's what they get. 

sawguy21

I lived through a tornado; it is not something I ever want to see again. Stay safe guys, I will keep checking in and offering support.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, a 100' ladder is likely a tiller and 1.2mil is about an average price. A tiller is the type with a front and rear driver to navigate the streets. Our local small city has one they just replaced and I think it cost about the same. The previous one had problems from day one and for 10 years following. The rear leaf springs would break on a regular basis and they would wind up replacing leaves every 8 months or so, it would be out of service for weeks every time it happened.

aigheadish

I know visiting the forum could be considered a low priority in this mess but I'm interested in a Roll Call...

You guys doing ok?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Tom King

I expect power and internet may be a problem for a good while, but I keep checking too.

Raider Bill

We at standing tall and handsome at our assigned posts here!
Neighbors 2 doors down lost a big oak tree. Missed the house put pulled his electrical mast and wires out.
Other than that and a mess of small branches and leaves looks like we came out OK.
Haven't heard from Wild Bill yet to see if he got power back. Might still be too windy to send out crews.

Spike60

Major storms like this have always gobbled up a lot of chainsaws and put a hurtin' on inventory for Husky, Stihl and whoever. But this is the first storm since the product shortage mess that we have been dealing with all year. The inventory situation is going to go from bad to non existent because of this one. Gonna be that way for a while too. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!