iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what Grit?

Started by Norwiscutter, May 29, 2006, 01:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

What grit grinding stone do you guys use on your band blade sharpeners? I believe that I have been using the 60 grit brown stones from cooks, but come to think of it, am not entirely sure though.  Has anyone tried the blue ceramic rocks and if so what were the results? It is time for me to reorder so I was thinking of maybe giving the 80 grit a shot to see if it might yield better results.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Radar67

I'm using the blue stone and it seems to be working well, of course it is the only stone I have used, so it's hard to judge the difference. It sharpens blades that cut wood.  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Mine, I think, are 80 grit.  I have always gotten them from Woodmizer.

Norwiscutter

thanks for the input.  Perhaps I am over thinking things a little as my blades up to this point have been sufficently sharp, however I am always looking to make things better and at times by doing so, end up making things worse. ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

LeeB

I have tried the pink ones from Menomionee. I believe they are 120 grit. They leave a great edge, but don't last too long. I'm gonna try a combination of the WM wheels and the pink ones. Wm first and the pink for a finish grind. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

Changing wheels in mid stream might be an effort in futility.  Woodmizers grind wheel formulation is harder than most wheels and is spun at a higher rate of speed too.   It is designed to be run under water or other lubricant.

Many of the other stones are softer and designed to be used in a dry grinding operation.  They may not be rated at the higher RPM of the Wood Mizer stones.  This might cause them to come apart if over revved.

The softer stones don't last as long because they were designed to expose new grit faster than the harder stones (friable).  They may run cooler in a dry environment because of it.

Once a stone is mounted and shaped, it becomes balanced to the shaft and motor that is driving it.   If you remove it, it may have to be balanced again by making it round with the shaping stone again.  Swapping stones will have you reshaping each one every time you remount it.

On stones run in water, it is advisable to take the water away and spin it dry before shutting it off.  water can accumulate in a stone that is standing still and unbalance it.

Any of these stones run on the equipment for which they were designed should produce a good enough edge for your saw blade.  You just have to watch the advance of your equipment and give the stone a chance to do its thing.

LeeB

good points Tom.  hadn't planned on changing stones for each blade. I was gonna do a prelim grind on several blades with the Wm stone and then switch to the other for a final touch up. I usually let my blades stack up tilll I have a big pile then have a sharpening marathon. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!