iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a shed around a woodmizer

Started by 123maxbars, May 01, 2013, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I am moving in a few weeks to our new home. Unlike the place we live now I am going to have a smaller work area for the LT35. I am going to have to utilize every square foot for logs/tractor etc. I do not do portable work. My sawmill hasn't moved since I brought it home. This is a move (that should be our last) that has been in the works for the past two years. Anyways I am laying out the ground work for the new shed to cover the mizer. Due to the place it will go and limited space I am going to have to build the shed around the mill.  Since its such a tight fit between three solid rock walls that are 15plus feet high the only way I can get the sawmill in the location I need it is plant it there and build the shed around it. After the shed is complete if I ever wanted to move the mill out (trade in/ or upgrade maybe) it could be done but would be pain in the a$$.  Just wondering if anyone on here has ever built a shed/building around their mill.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

thecfarm

15 foot high rock walls???  ::)  I thought I had some walls,you got me beat. Good luck with your shed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

No, but I hope that you detail and share your ideas and build with us.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flyboy16101

From the sounds of things you might be able to set some trusses on the existing rock walls. I was going to build around the mill for mine but with my luck I have I would drop something on it so I've decided to move the mill out of harms way before I start. Good luck with the project look forward to seeing pictures.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

dboyt

This brings up a question... how do you plan for ventilation of exhaust fumes?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

123maxbars

Good question and thanks for the insight. Something I need to think about,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Alyeska Pete

"Since its such a tight fit between three solid rock walls that are 15plus feet high the only way I can get the sawmill in the location I need it is plant it there and build the shed around it."

Just curious as to how you are going to get logs in and slabs and lumber out if there is only room for the mill?  Some pictures of site would probably help allot.

Chuck White

Pete; I was down your way, back in 1994!

I was a shuttlebus driver for "WoodStock '94".

All I can say is it was interesting, only got lost twice.

Once I ended up in a cow pasture (almost), the other time in ended up in Kingston!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

5quarter

Chuck...We did a 2 week fishing trip along the Lake/river between Potsdam and Norwood When I was a kid. is that the black river up there?  I love that part of the state!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Alyeska Pete on May 03, 2013, 07:53:31 AM
"Since its such a tight fit between three solid rock walls that are 15plus feet high the only way I can get the sawmill in the location I need it is plant it there and build the shed around it."

Just curious as to how you are going to get logs in and slabs and lumber out if there is only room for the mill?  Some pictures of site would probably help allot.

Also, where does the sawdust go and how do you get it out?

You could always build a gantry crane with a couple of hoists, set on a couple scrap rails. Then you could roll it in and out easily to move it or to clean, work etc.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Max, I did the oppisite, but just a pic for any ideas you might have,

I realize you have an existing building, my point was only that with the portable option, this should always be kept in the back of your mind, portable is a option that will come up at some point, and just for conversation a very enjoyable adventure, this shed was built in 07' and has the drive through option, which is handy for many things, cleaning the shed, mill and of course going portable when necessary,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!