iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Doctor

Started by Magicman, June 03, 2010, 10:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Well, tomorrow I'm off to see the knee Doctor.  I made a bad decision on off of a motorcycle many years ago.  Anyway, I guess as I've aged, it has gotten worse.  I had "scope" surgery on it back in '94, but now something keeps slipping out of whack.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Too bad that you can't just put a new bracket on it like you did that new seat  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Bad knees are bad bidness.  I have a dear family friend in the hospital right now, she had a full knee replacement this morning. 

I hope yours isn't so bad.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

:)  Good news !!!  For now at least, it's nothing that a brace with metal hinges on each side won't handle.  And even that is not required at all times.  The noise , grinding, and popping is a cartilage problem, but nothing that needs immediate attention.

It surely was a joy talking to a Doctor/Surgeon that wasn't sharpening a scalpel.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

So you are going to bolt on a bracket after all  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on June 04, 2010, 09:32:27 PM
So you are going to bolt on a bracket after all  :D. 

Yup, that's about right.  I already had the brace, I just wasn't using it. :-\  It had started doing creaky things and making noises that I was concerned about.

SwampDonkey

My grandfather had both knees done back in the 70's. He never stopped being active hunting and fishing until he went blind from a clot or some kind of blockage which we learned could have been corrected if diagnosed early enough.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2010, 10:36:43 PM
It had started doing creaky things and making noises that I was concerned about.
Your knee or the brace?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Magicman

Quote from: bill m on June 05, 2010, 08:17:09 AM
Your knee or the brace? 

:-[  I did make that a bit unclear.  I have not been wearing the brace.  The knee was making those noises.  Really spooky when you twist and your knee makes a grinding noise, but doesn't hurt.

I had that knee to actually lock up in '92 (I previously said '94) and the Dr. removed torn cartilage.  Anyway, the good news is No Surgery".

Back to sawing Monday !!! 

Burlkraft

I had one completely rebuilt.

The surgery was a breeeeeezzzzz

The rehab was Hell...........
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Samuel

I had the scope repair surgery done about 14 years ago before I left the maritimes (strange coincidence).  My knee socket actually dislocated and was turned sideways.  Took about 2 hrs in the OR and I walked out of the hospital...well limped out and it took about 4 months to get my full range of mobility back. 

Glad to hear you did not have to endure that.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Ron Scott

I had arthriscopic surgery done on the left knee in 1987 and the right knee in 1989. I wore a brace on the left knee for some time since the ACL is gone, but then gave up on that. I kept poping the rivets in it and the continued repairs were too expensive. ;)

Doctor says that any future knee surgerys will be replacements.
~Ron

clww

I have RA in both knees and I find that horse liniment helps me out . When they're really aching, I put it on in the morning, then wrap with an Ace bandage.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

runmca

Going to see my knee doctor this afternoon to discuss ACL reconstruction surgery. Anyone get this surgery done? I've read about long recovery times, just wondering if any FF members have experience with this.

petefrom bearswamp

Blew out my left ACL in 95 same yr as  a rotaror cuff prob.
It was repaired using a piece of Patellar tendon.
Been good until the last few weeks.
Getting almost 23 yrs out of it has been good.
You should be OK as I m sure procedures have been improved since Mine.
Do , however listen to your rehab therapist.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

runmca

thanks Pete. Looks like I'm going in sometime in March, will use one of my hamstring tendons.

At least I'll be able to get some maple syrup done beforehand. Hopefully I'll be able to do some milling later this year.

petefrom bearswamp

runmca
How much syrup do u do?
I did a bunch back in the 70s loved it but a marriage breakup stopped that .
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

runmca

Pete,
Not that much, this year I hope to tap about 20 trees on bucket. This is my 3rd year, had about a dozen taps in the past. I really enjoy it and hope to increase production down the road.

I hope your knee feels better.

chet

Two brand new ones here. One about four years ago, and the other is going on 14 months. Feels great ta be able ta kick my up heals again.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

runmca

Chet, did you get both knees replaced or ACL reconstruction? Either way that must have been quite the rehab. I'm glad they are doing well!

doctorb

Chet-

Are you talking two new knee replacements or two new ACL reconstructions?

runmca-

I have a lot of experience with ACL reconstructions.  If you ruptured your ACL years and years ago, then your problem may be more than just the ACL.  The increase in the degree of motion seen in many knees after they loose their ACL can lead to arthritis and meniscal (cartilage) tears.  So if you "blew out your knee" a while back, and rehabbed it to be serviceable for many years, it may be that the other portions of your knee have been taking the extra strain from your deficient ACL and are wearing out.  So....before you assume it's just a ligament problem, ask your doctor about the rest of the important stuff in your knee.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chet

Both were full total knees. I guess I climbed way too many trees over da years.   :D   I did all rehab at home on my own. I musta pushed myself pretty good, 'cause da Doc's  at Mayo were really impressed with da results.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

runmca

Thanks doctorb - I tore the ACL last June. Back in the mid 90's I tore my meniscus in that knee and had that cleaned up. Have been trail running since early 2000's with no problems, but playing basketball (which I never play) with the boys did the ACL in. My doc said I may have strained the ACL when I originally injured it in the 90's. My recent MRI did show slight cartilage damage too which could have been from wear and tear or the basketball incident (I thought I heard a double 'pop'). It really hasn't bothered me much since it healed up last summer but just feel I can't put as much stress on it as I want, especially having a manual sawmill.

petefrom bearswamp

Forgot to mention that I had both knees done by MAKOplasty in 2014 in addition to the acl repair.
I  have been a benefactor of ortho surgeons over the years.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!