iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing Saw

Started by dsgsr, October 14, 2016, 07:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

What's a good one, SwampDonkey? Going to start clearing out 3" and smaller trees in the understory.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

WoodstockVT

Have many hours on the biggest Stihl, the 560, and I would buy another one in a heartbeat, and their stock harness is the most comfortable I've used as well.

pine

X2 on the Stihl  The 560 replaced the 550 and it was/is a workhorse.

VT_Forestry

X3...we run the fs460 precommercial thinning pine and it does a great job.  I can also second the comment on the harness, very comfortable for all day use
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

dsgsr

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like the Stihl is the way to go.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

SwampDonkey

I would go same, but we routinely cut up to 6" trees at the butt end with 560 saws. Mostly fir that is way more advanced in years than planted spruce. So the rings are dense and pretty much unreadable and brown past the outer sapwood, they were suppressed. Also red spruce that is harder than fir and just as old sometimes but was also suppressed for years and generally chalk white wood though. Really more tough than hard, but still hard cutting. Must be the long fibers, I swear it's no easier than hard maple.

As to the harness, that is another matter, unless you like wearing a full nelson. :D Some people do not complain about them. But they rub the hide off of ya. I prefer a Husqvarna forestry harnass. I can destroy a Stihl harnass in a month, the hook is riveted onto the pad and that doesn't last where I'm working. :D Let's just say I have a pile of junk Stihl harnesses that came with the saws. Of course there are very few on here working 40 hour weeks with these for 6-7 months. The saw itself is tough, mine (2014 model) has probably cut 200 acres by now. I have to map ground besides cut. ;)

Get yourself some "Maxi" chisel tooth profile blades, not the gullet type. Not easy to find down in the US. Professional thinners use them in Canada and Europe. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!