iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bats

Started by Cedarman, November 05, 2012, 06:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

I was wondering how often you see a bat come out of a tree that you are cutting down.  I am interested in where you are located, how often, time of year and if there was more than one bat.  Also what did the bat do, fly off, get killed, don't know, etc.
If you have never seen a bat, would want to know that too.
Thanks
Richard
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

I've seen bats, but never had one come out of a tree I've cut down. A raccoon or two and couple squirrels, but no bats. But then, I'm not watching real close for critters, as am looking for widow makers and where the tree is landing (or where I'm hoping it is landing) as I move away from the stump.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Same with me, I'm not aware of any bats flying from any tree I've ever taken down here in VA. Mice, both types of squirrels, owls, snakes, bees, ants, termites, other birds, and one momma coon are the only critters I've encountered so far.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Axe Handle Hound

Interesting question Cedarman. Your location puts you right in the heart of Indiana bat territory...just wondering out loud, but is that what's generating your question?

I have not seen any bats while cutting down trees.  Squirrel nests, mice, and a dog chain sans dog, but no bats. 

bill m

Yes, I have seen a bat in a tree that I cut down. I'm sorry to say he did not make it :'(
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

pasbuild

I have found more then one in the lumber pile's
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ed_K

Never seen one come out of a tree I was cutting,but I know they like shag bark hickorys to sleep under the bark.
Ed K

Jim H

I had one fly out of a deep seam on a cedar log, on the mill, as I was cutting the first slab.  :o It was summertime, and the log had been laying in the pile for several weeks.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Paul_H

I've seen bats come out of a fallen tree too.When I was going in and out of the turns on one yarding road(highlead)I had bats come out of nowhere and fly past me.I spoke to my uncle later that night at the bunkhouse and he had fell that quarter and remembered the bats.

Upper Lillooet river near Pemberton BC in the summer.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

OH logger

yes i have had one or 2 come out as the tree was falling. 1 was a shagbark hick and the other was a dead ash tree with the bark peeling off. as far as i know they both made it to live another day to maybe creep me out again
john

thenorthman

not proud of it now but years ago me and a friend played tennis with one in an attic, does that count?  He didn't live though...  Mostly see em living under shingles on houses or the occasional hallow log
well that didn't work

Cedarman

In Indiana, not sure of other states, but in the southern part of the state, you can only log between Nov 15th and Mar 30 on state ground.  This is because the Indiana bat may be using trees in the area as maternal roosting sites.
Disturbing them is called a taking and forbidden by the USFWS.
This could turn into our spotted owl.
So I just wanted anecdotal evidence of how often bats are disturbed.
The bat scientists are doing some actual research with tiny transmitters on the bats to see what they are doing.
This bat thing is going to get more interesting.  It might could even affect private land including trees growing in urban areas.
For this thread, I would like to keep it to how often you see bats in the woods when you cut trees.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

It is what USFWS loves to do, and guess it makes them feel important and worthy of the big budget they strive to retain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Draco

Imagine, the fish and wildlife service are concerned about fish and wildlife.  Whoda thought?

thecfarm

I have never seen a bat come out of a tree that I have cut.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

log cutter

I had quite a few come out of red fir snags. Where the bark has loosened up and separated from the tree. They just fly to another hiding place. 
Timbco 475E

sharp-shod

Seen lots of 'em. Mostly from dead trees. Fly around for a while then land on a tree or back to the tree they were in, if not cut down. Many flying squirrels over the years as well.  Always bothers me to disturb bats, big-eyed squirrels, honeybees or to drop a coon-condo. Bats and flying squirrels, being nocturnal, seem to be lost, at least for a while. Try my damnest to watch for wildlife - can't always see the signs. Left veneer hawk and owl nest trees and Woodie den hole timber standing -marked or not. Nothing like working in the woods - obliged to take care of another man's woods as if my own. The landowner put bread on my table and my kids through college - least I can do.

Thank You Sponsors!