iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 seems to be running lean

Started by hydro2, September 02, 2005, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydro2

I bought a new Husky 353 last January and have been cutting wood through the spring.   I cut some this fall and decided to pull the plug and replace it for my fall cuttting.  I have about 10 tanks of gas through the saw.  When I pulled the plug it looked whiter than I thought it should have.  I looked at my high rpm jet adjustment and it was adjusted almost as rich as the stops would allow.  I am mixed the 2.5 ounces per gallon as suggested.  I turn the h jet as rich as it would go and ran the saw a 15 or 30 min. and the plug still looked like the carb setting was to lean.  I then went to my friends house and he has a 353.  We pulled his plug and it seemed like it was running to lean also.  Is this just the Husky oil and the newer saws or is my saw running to lean.  I have an old Sthil and the plugs always looks pretty dark.  I am afraid of smoking the Husky.   Is this common with the new 2 cycle saws and oil and do I have a problem. Thanks Mark
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Kevin

There are a few things to look at, first the air filter must be clean prior to any carb adjustments.
Check the screen on the muffler for carbon fouling.
Run 40:1 and the plug should be black which is ok and the normal colour would be brown.

hydro2

Thank you so much for your reply.  I cleaned the air filter before carb adjustment. 
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Kevin

Are the head fins free of saw dust, if it isn't getting proper air flow it could also be running hot.
A modified muffler would keep it cooler.

hydro2

Yea I take air hose and blow it out all of the time
Thanks,
Mark
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Kevin

Could be a carb problem too if the mixture isn't proper and the adjustments are maxed out.

hydro2

Yea that is what I am thinking.  Who would have thought a carb problem with 10 tanks of gas.  I take care of this saw. 
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

hydro2

Could adjustment on the Low end jet have an effect on the color of the plug?  I mean the saw spends most of it's time in the high rpm range
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

hydro2

I see from your profile you are running a Stihl.  I looked at another Stihl.  Perhaps I should have bought another Stihl and not the Huksy???
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Kevin

You can try cleaning it and maybe throwing a kit in it if need be.

Kevin

Get a tach on it and adjust both the high and low just to be sure.
Husqvarna is a good saw.

hydro2

I have had the carb off my Stihl numerous time.  It sickens me to think that I have to rebuild a brand new carb!  I hate messing with the little two stoke carbs, not that there is that much too them.  I just hate tearing them down.
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Kevin

It might just be a little dirt in one of the jets.

floyd

leweee

Quote from: floyd on September 03, 2005, 11:27:01 AM
buy a hotter , or cooler plug.

Try an adjustable carb instead.....  smiley_furious EPA approved POS
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

hydro2

I wonder how much a new "adjustable" carb would be?  It is a shame that the carb provided is junk thanks to the enviromental wienies!!!!!!
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

pallis

I don't know what the 353's carb is.  Does it have both the low and high adjustment screws?  From your post it sounds like limiter caps on the jet screws are keeping you from tuning rich enough.  Caps can be removed and put back on, or trimmed to let the screw turn.  You should be able to tighten the high speed screw to where the saw smoothes out at its highest RPM, and then back it off until you get a slight four cycling sound.  From your description it doesn't sound like you need to rebuild the carb, IMHO.

A colder plug sheds heat from the plug faster, but I don't think that would solve your heat problem from running too lean.

Do you have a Husky dealer you can take the saw to?

Kevin

If you're removing limiter caps to adjust the carb chances are there's something wrong and repairs are needed.
The same goes with changing the plug to something other than what's recommended.

hydro2

Yea I have a Husky dealer pretty close by.  Just hate taking a new saw to the dealer to have worked on!  The limiter caps are keeping me from adjusting it any richer.   Do all of Husky's saws have the limiter caps or just the EPA approved saws?
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

pallis

I think any new saw you get these days is going to have limiter caps, if it is adjustable.  Kevin is right though.  You're better off taking it to a dealer, and letting him move the caps.  Why risk your warrantee when you don't have to?

logmason

I read these husky threads and feel I'll contribute my experience with ONE new husky.
Bought it brand new and went to work, it felt lean, fouled a plug within 5 tanks of gas. Not wanting to void my waranty I went to shop. Owner said I had to leave it for couple weeks. I said I need it now, do you have a loaner? He laughed. I took my saw and never went back.
I tore into the saw and found that the jets were half a turn or less, I turned them to one and a half turns, warmed it up, and adjusted until it dieseled under full load. Drove on for six years. I run echo oil 50 to 1. You may not want to try this at home.

Couple other things that come to mind. Mine has cold weather settings that restrict air flow. Also if the exhaust manifold is backwards, it will run hot. I always wonder why the dealer set it up the way he did.

When someone asks me what brand of saw to buy. My reply is the dealer is more important than the brand name.

hydro2

Thank you all for taking time to reply!
Mark :)
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Thank You Sponsors!