iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Question

Started by texrose, February 10, 2014, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texrose

Hi:
I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am considering purchasing a Canadian Board Master Band Sawmill that was built in Peterborough Ontario. It is a hydraulic mill with a self feed cable system. The mill seems to be in good condition and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these mills. The company is no longer in business but the mill looks like a good setup. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, texrose.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

What is your parts availability?

bandmiller2

Tex, I wouldn't be too concerned about parts as most all small builders use off the shelf parts anyways.  Theirs virtually nothing on a small bandmill that can't be fixed with local parts and welders. When bandmills started to become popular seems everyone was building them the field has now narrowed to a handful. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Never heard of that mill, and would have to ask a few questions from the seller about the mill, the usual ones like performance, accuracy, reliability, and the need and availability of parts.  And maybe why it's for sale?
get a photo if possible, I would like to see what it looks like,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Texrose, welcome to the forum!  First rule is to see it in action!  If the current owner can start it up and demonstrate that everything works, that goes a long ways (no matter what the manufacturer is).

I bought a old TimberHarvester that had been left in a field (uncovered, except for the snow on it).  The owner said it was "out of gas", but worked fine.  I should have noticed that there were no fresh slabs or sawdust anywhere around.  After rebuilding the carb, replacing the electronic ignition, one hydraulic motor, drive wheel bearing, carriage feed cable, and two hoses-- and a pumping a half-gallon of grease in all the dry zerks, it did run just fine.  Just sayin' look it over good, and be skeptical of what you're told.  If you're not mechanically savvy, bring someone with you who is (preferably a sawmill operator).

Best of luck.  I hope it works out well for you-- it could be a great deal.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!