iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Temporarily storing logs

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, July 07, 2008, 11:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Howdy all,

It took a lot of hard work, but we recently retrieved some good saw logs from a remote area of our property.   Although the logs are now much more accessible, they are still resting on the ground, nevertheless.  Considering the fact that we started this work to "rescue" these windthrown logs, it only makes sense that we go the extra mile and do what we can to protect them from the bugs and such.   By the way, we left them where they lie because we literally ran out of time and energy (it was about 10:00 PM on a Sunday when we untonged the last log, and we still had 100+ miles ahead of us that night).

We don't -- as yet -- own a mill of any kind, so I'm looking for advice on how to properly store the logs until we can get them milled.

We have some leftover PT beam ends (6 x 12s) that I was thinking about putting under the logs for now.  I was also thinking that we could use an end sealer of some sort -- like Anchorseal -- to help protect the logs.   

Some of the logs we retrieved are fairly high quality cherry and maple, so we would like to do whatever we can to preserve them for the time being.   It has also been suggested to us that peeling the logs might help preserve them, but I wanted to check on that before we put the work required into it.

Thanks very much for your time ...
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

OneWithWood

Hardwoods or softwoods?

At a minimum I would end coat the logs and get them up off the ground.   
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for your reply, OneWithWood.  All of the logs I'm referring to here are hardwoods.  Nevertheless, we also have some very large softwoods that were blown over, so I'd like to get what I can from them as well.  I realize that the blue stain has probably set into them by now, but I can still use the beams they'll render for outbuildings, so all is certainly not lost.

Do you think that propping the hardwood logs up on the PT beam ends I mentioned would be a good idea?  Do you like the Anchorseal product for protecting the log ends?  If not, would you please recommend a better product to us?

Thanks again ... :)
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

OneWithWood

Anchorseal is the best in my book.  Using the PT beams for a base would work well. 
One With Wood

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Got ya, OWW.  Do you have any thoughts on the peeling that was recommended to us?

OneWithWood

Personally I would not peel them.

Others with more experience may jump in here.  I think peeling would add to checking.
One With Wood

Tom

Peeling would probably be a waste of time.  If the bark falls off, as in the case of pine or other softwoods, then remove it from the area of the logs

In the South, logs are submerged in ponds, or constantly sprinkled to keep insects at bay and stain down. Fungus' grow in a small window of Humidity.  If you keep the wood real wet or real dry, your stain is diminished.

End sealing hardwood is definitely the way to go.  Don't buck them to size until you get ready to saw them as that only exposes more end-grain and makes them more susceptible to end checks.

If the logs have been down a few days, it might be prudent to cut an inch or two off of the end to expose new end-grain.  The reason is: once end checking begins, it is almost impossible to stop.  End sealing materials can't get into the existing end checks.   Exposing a new surface allows the end sealant to cover the wood better.

By far, one of the best ways to preserve logs is submerging in a pond.  The very best way to keep degrade to a minimum is to saw the logs within days of separating them from the stump.  The older they get, the harder they get and the more difficult they are to saw.  Think of a fresh plant cell as being like a water balloon, while a dry plant cell is more like a concrete block.

Summer is the most difficult time to store logs.  The sun is brutal and the insects are numerous.

Thank You Sponsors!