iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storing logs

Started by kenny, February 21, 2013, 01:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenny

I have logs that i cut  10ft , how should i store them until i get a saw mill? In barn, or outside     thanks 

Ocklawahaboy

Inside is probably preferable but depending on species, where you are located etc, may not be needed.  For instance, I store red cedar outside for years sometimes and if it has a tarp or tin thrown over it, it will stay nice for a long long time.  Some woods will last for years even uncovered.

Jemclimber

Tell us where your are and what kind of logs do you have? Some need to be sawn right away, while others have a shelf life.
lt15

kenny

I am located in ny   oaks maples

hackberry jake

The heart on white oak will last a very long time. The sapwood will be spongy within a year. Red oak will last a couple years. Maple should be sawn ASAP.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jemclimber

Listen to Jake. The only exception may be depending on what you are using the maple for. If it's paneling, and you like the character look, it won't hurt it to sit for six months maybe a year to produce some "character".  Otherwise, saw it ASAP.
lt15

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As cold as it is in NY, you can certainly wait a few days (but not too many) on maple this time of year if white color after drying is an issue.  If color is no concern, then longer.  So, ASAP is a good objective now and essential in warmer weather.

You should consider end coating the logs of all species.  Many people use Anchorseal.  Also, some people will sprinkle their logs with water to keep them cool and prevent drying...use the equivalent of about 2" per day.  Large drops are not blown around as easily, but may not provide total coverage of the log.  A mist usually blows too much away.

When storing oaks, the sapwood will grey and then eventually will develop decay (spalting) if storage is prolonged.  The sapwood in NY oaks is rather small and after the log has been slabbed four sides, there is little sapwood that will be in the lumber.

However, in addition to end splits, which you will control with end coating, oak logs stored over three months in warm weather will produce lumber that will have more surface checks...roughly 10 times more than fresh logs.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!