iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My most productive day

Started by Ohio_Bill, June 05, 2011, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

My most productive day of sawing was Thursday of this week . 3400 bf of  2 inch poplar for a local cabinet shop .I had to buck the logs and saw , it was a long day but the most I have ever done in a day .

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Dan_Shade

nice, not bad for a day's work.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ladylake

That's a good days work+, musta had some good help.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

nice indeed!  thats a good day for sure.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Tom

I agree!   You have every reason to be prould of that.   There's been a many a day that I bragged on 2000 feet.  My normal average was about 1300 when I was on the road.

You did good.  :)

Ernie

Harking back to the thread on metrics.  WOW 8 1/2 cubic meters.  That would really keep you out of trouble and off the streets.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

carykong

Impressive amount of production from bucking to a board with portable mill. Can you tell us what the cabinet shop will use 8/4 poplar for?

BBTom

Only time I made that much was when the logs where all pine, cut to length and stacked just right when I got there.  You did fantastic. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Chuck White

Great job there Bill!

Lots of reason to feel good about the accomplishment!

The most I've ever done was 2300 board feet of a combination of 1" and 2" lumber!

I had 4 guys working on the other side of the mill and worked about 10 hours!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

One of my most productive jobs was this past March.  7238.6 bf of framing lumber in 19 hours, and I had to stop and buck the logs

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pigman

MM, I bet you were tired after working 19 hours straight. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ohio_Bill

The lumber is used for tool and die cases. They have a contract with a local tool manufacturer. Also some is for shipping wedges and they will resaw some into inch.
My crew was my neighbor and myself.  MM I don't ever see me breaking your record.
My truck is getting a workout these days. I delivered a load of ties this morning.  Nice to have some cash flow.

Thanks for all your encouragement.

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

beenthere

I wonder how that lumber in those stickered stacks is drying, being that they are stacked so close side by each?

Maybe they are not set there for drying, but seems there wouldn't be enough air movement to keep from molding the lumber.

Just curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

Quote from: Magicman on June 06, 2011, 08:04:42 AM
7238.6 bf of framing lumber in 19 hours

Well done young fella, I can't even stay awake for 19 hours :(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

cutterboy

Great job Bill, and you're right....cash coming in is good.

MM, you truly are a magic man.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on June 06, 2011, 12:12:38 PM
I wonder how that lumber in those stickered stacks is drying, being that they are stacked so close side by each?

Maybe they are not set there for drying, but seems there wouldn't be enough air movement to keep from molding the lumber.

Just curious.

Those SYP logs had been cut for several months and the lumber was practically dry when I sawed it.  There was about ½" between boards.  That was two sawing days, (it rained one afternoon) but it still comes out to over 3600 bf per day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

beenthere, most of the SYP down here is stacked close, even touching, when sawed green.  It fairs well with a breeze clearing the stack and shrinks almost immediately to allow for vertical passage of air.  I still usually stacked mine using my index finger as a spacer.  It was mostly from habit though.  It helps to dry even faster if the stack is all of one size and the openings between boards line up. The stack will start drafting almost immediately.

Hardwoods don't seem to fair as good when stacked tight, though a good air-flow in a pole barn covers a lot of ills.

The biggest problem I had to overcome was the stack retaining the water from rain and dew.  It really pays to keep the stacks narrow and open when the weather is wet.

Coon

Around these parts any softwood lumber coming off a mill is usually piled tightly side by each and stickered between layers.  The more commercial operations even do the same along with banding the lumber tightly.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

My concern wasn't about the lumber side by each, but the three stacks so close to each other. If they are drying ok, then all is well. :) 8)

I agree with the "stacks narrow and open".  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

The stacks around here that seem to be standard are 2x10's = 4 wide. 2x8's =5 wide. 2x6's =7 wide. 2x4's =9wide.

What's the standards widths where you're from?  Inquiring minds need to know.  ;)

Magicman

I like to see them 5 or 10.  Makes it easy to count and the stacks are stable.  Just be sure that you do not make a wide short stack like this.

This is 2X4's and 2X6's mixed and too wide and too short.   :-\

Tom

I tried to keep my stacks four to six feet wide, fourteen, or better, inches off of the ground and would go as a high as I could comfortably reach.  I have stood on the back of the truck to get it as high as it would remain stable.   I have tied stacks together by using long stickers at a 5' level that went from one stack to the other.  It works for narrow stacks that are two or three feet apart.  My bases were 9" concrete blocks, multiple 2x6's or 6x6's on that and 2x4's on edge for the base for the stickers.  That got it 18" or 19" off of the ground.

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2011, 07:47:33 AM
I like to see them 5 or 10.  Makes it easy to count and the stacks are stable.  Just be sure that you do not make a wide short stack like this.

This is 2X4's and 2X6's mixed and too wide and too short.   :-\
i see another motive here!
no room for more hay. less hay barning time.     :D :D :D   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Tom

The concern with a wide stack is that; between each sticker you have created a one inch channel that will be full of humid air.  It takes a good movement of air to get that wet air to move to the outside of the stack.  It's that wet, stagnant air that turns the inside of a lumber stack into a greenhouse and grows algae and fungus'.  Having it indoors may even exacerbate the problem because there is less air movement.  In a case like that, its only saving grace might be the distance left between boards and an escape to the top of the stack.

Coon

A pile like that is a pain in the ash to move.  :-\   Like Tom said that pile is a disaster waiting to happen.  One farmer around these parts had some custom sawing done on his farm and he tailed the boards of the mill onto a stack just like this one.  He never even scraped the sawdust off the boards and they sawed out fresh stickers from the edgings.  The location had inadequate airflow along the edge of the bush they came from as well.  The grass was never cut around the pile thus even limiting the airflow even more.  The pile was rather large as well.... somewhere to the tune of 8,000 bdft.  The boards ended up being black with mold and you could see places that looked like they were charred as if they almost caught on fire from excessive heat build up.  The whole pile ended up being burnt because of stupitity on the farmers behalf.   ::)

Thank You Sponsors!