iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill auction

Started by Larry, June 05, 2011, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Went to a small sawmill auction yesterday.  The mill had shut down maybe 6 or 7 years and sold earlier.  This was really a clean up auction of left over junk.  Just the kind of auction I like.

I picked up couple of 3 phase motors along with electrical stuff at a good price. :)

I also bid on a Corley swing saw.  Thought it would look sorta cute as yard art.  I dropped out at $30 and think it sold for $110.  A Yates 108 4 head moulder went for $600 which was just barely above junk price these days.  It was set up for log cabin siding...lady that bought it was gonna use it to build couple of houses.  It was a made in 1915 and I'm glad to see it going back to work instead of the scrapper. :)

The amazing part was what the wood sold for.  Most was poorly stickered, weathered, warped, and good for kindling or rustic bird houses.  I would never be able to sell wood that junky.  But I guess it was a bargain.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Quote from: Larry on June 05, 2011, 07:42:30 PM
Went to a small sawmill auction yesterday. 
The amazing part was what the wood sold for.  Most was poorly stickered, weathered, warped, and good for kindling or rustic bird houses.  I would never be able to sell wood that junky.  But I guess it was a bargain.

Any time I've ever been to an auction where there was lumber included, it was always amazing how much people would pay for it!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

Went to an auction once that had a whole bunch of cedar for sale. I went because of a lot thick material that we did not have on hand at the time. Some lady was there and wanted it all. She bought it for far more than I would have sold it. On the other hand, had a customer who went to an auction of a sawmill I could not make. He bought a bunch of 6/4 oak. Excellent boards. He sold them to us just because he thought they were too cheap and hated to see them just passed over. We both made money on that deal. At an auction, you just don't know.

Ron Wenrich

You have to know who you're bidding against. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

I get a real kick out of people at auctions. Some get wound up and have to have a certain item, it becomes a competition they have to win. I watched a guy bid on some cheap 3 ton bottle jacks, every one of them leaked. He bought one for 30 dollars, the auctioneer offered all six for that price each and he accepted. Proud as punch of himself. Princess Auto had new ones for $29.95. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don_Papenburg

Went to a building supply auction a few years back .  planed to bid on two pallets of 12x12 ceramic tile .  Menards had them for 0.80  each .  auctioneer wanted  $2.00 to start . first bid was 0.75  and went up to 2.25  .  ev erybody had big box adds selling them for a dollar or less.  All looked puzzeled except the two bidders .  The winning bidder could not decide if he wanted both pallets . So to speed things up I told him he better take em both because he will never see them for that price again. The autioneer thanked me and the guy was happy with his "find".
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!