iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please Help me fixing this Big SAW

Started by ADebMallick, June 17, 2011, 09:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADebMallick

I have a big saw 10 mm thick 1550 mm dia made of low alloy , hardness 200 bhn in body  , 530 bhn in teeth used in steel plants for cutting red hot steel  - rpm 1460 RPM.  Collar size 800 mm.

I need to hand tension it as we require to do sometimes without rollers and hydraulic press. Always we have to use very heavy hammers for this like 6 kg , 8 kg , 10 kgs are common.

Hammering this type of saw is same as in thinner lower rpm wood saws. Only i
am asking if my procedures of  levellings  are correct or not?

These saws need no dish  applied by by hammer. The saw should remain dead straight at least in rim area.

IMAGE 1.

The saw shows UP and Down in rim area alternatively in 4 almost equal parts.

Is this hammering procedure correct??
IMAGE 2.

1) hammer with round flat hammer 8-10 kg in the middle zone in round to provide initial tension

2) with cross face hammer (5-6 kg) pull the corners as shown in pic from middle zone towards the bend corner - which is down .  

3) Same on opposite sides ie put initial tension in round circle first and then pull the corners.

A cruicial question :

Cross face hammers longer side should be along the motion of the hammer as shown in

1 marked blue      - - - - - - - - - -  ->

or 2     | | | | | | | | | ->   across the line of motion   ?

Thanking you
Aitijhya Mallick
India

Coon

Sounds like a question for one of our sponsors here on the left side of the page.  Menominee Saw should be able to give you the info you need as well as maybe a few of the circle sawyers here that have done their own hammering.  Keep us informed on the info you find on this as many of us would be interested to know as well. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

r.man

1550 mm converts to 61 inches for those of you like me that think in inches.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

just_sawing

Not something that I do but I think you are stretching the metal. If that is so you would have to stretch the cup side. (Hit inside the bowl not on the out side.)
I would make sure before I started. As for the Hammer face I do know that you always work your face toward the direction you want to change.   [[[[[[   This Moves.      -------------        No Change
                                No Change                       This Moves  
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!