iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suspected N.B.-Quebec poaching operation broken up

Started by SwampDonkey, January 25, 2007, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Early morning raids conducted on Thursday were a result of a two-year investigation called Operation Red Fox, centring on the Campbellton-Pointe-a-la-Croix border, and involving natural resources departments from both provinces, the RCMP, Quebec provincial police and the federal wildlife service.

People from both New Brunswick and Quebec have been arrested.

The provincial charges carry fines as high as $500,000, while a conviction on the federal charges could be punished by a $300,000 fine or up to five years in jail.

Link to full story
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

Unfortunately it's all too common in this area, it's getting better now that our regional police department have a helicopter, but the poachers aren't dumb, they just moved a little farther from the built up areas where the chopper doesn't fly unless needed there to help on a call.

The MNR here has an active program though with an 800 hotline number you can call to report poaching, or suspected poaching. The pilots assoc. I belong to are partners in an "eyes in the sky' program, reporting suspicious activity out of season, or in restricted areas.

It's amazing how much fun you can have with a camera and a cell phone from a few thousand feet up.  ;)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

farmerdoug

Murf,

You best stay a few thousand feet up too.  Those guys will take a pot shot at you if you give them a chance.  It has happened here in Michigan a while ago. :o  No one hurt but their pride but I would not take a chance on it anyways.  Criminals are losers and will do the stupidest things to not get caught at times.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

Sometimes they're winners to (heaven forbid) if they shoot the goose out of the sky.  ::) :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

In this part of the province, a lot of the poaching takes the form of natives taking non-natives out hunting and giving them the kill.  Natives can pretty much hunt where and when they want so it is really hard to prove they aren't keeping the meat themselves.

The other problem in the area right around my house is a family of Trecartin's from Grand-Falls.  They travel the 3 hours to our area and take over a local mans woodlot/clearcut and threaten physical harm to others who try to hunt there.  They typically remove more that one deer per person and leave lots of garbage.

Last year we have some trouble from some people from Grand Manan hunting on a part of our property that is posted red (no hunting).

olyman

The other problem in the area right around my house is a family of Trecartin's from Grand-Falls.  They travel the 3 hours to our area and take over a local mans woodlot/clearcut and threaten physical harm to others who try to hunt there.  They typically remove more that one deer per person and leave lots of garbage.

someone needs to get a posse--and do a number to those people--the opposite of what the korean?? in wisc did---

Thank You Sponsors!