iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture % in FL for HW floors ...

Started by DeepForest, May 09, 2004, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepForest

;D Hi ... I would like to ask if someone has experience with solid wood flooring, and more or less knows the moisture % for the SE of our country. ;D
in the last two years iv been working :P in this project    ???manufacture exotic hw flooring ... and step by step starting to get shape .... so any tips? MORE THAN WELCOME !!!!
Happy mothers day to your wifes.  

Fla._Deadheader

We have a HW installer here, in Sebastian. He recommended the moisture meter we have. He says 10% is stable. Hardly anyone opens a window in south Fl, so, heat and air constantly keep the inside MC at 10%.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DeepForest

8)  TKS !! its what i was thinking + or - , preatty much like 8 -10 its coming in this first conteiner, but i run into a lady ( posible customer) and she said  4-6 and scared my self. 8)
       what brand and model u use ?

Fla._Deadheader

We have the Mini-Ligno, hand held. LED readout. The installer uses it, combined with the slide hammer to insert the pins deep into the wood and also to penetrate the sub floor, looking for wet conditions. 6-8 is what the cabinet shops around here, want. 4 seems very extreme.

Ask the MC question over on the drying and processing forum. There are several Kiln reps that monitor that topic.

It MAY be necessary to condition the wood, if it is higher than 10 when you get it??? I don't know much about this stuff, yet.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DeepForest

Fla._Deadheader
               Tks again  ;D... In the sawmill i use a nordic, and here normally i ful around with a wagner proline 200, that costs 60% less and works as good as the nordic.
               Being new in this is tough, but im improving and learning every day something, and this forum helps a lot.
              my floors should be arriving in :-/ 45 -50 days :-/ , the % 8-10. and they r a beuty wood is so noble. But as i said before have  a long way to go.

Tracy

10 is a good #. I have checked moister in home for years and the range is 8- to 12 depending on the season. I have produced hickory and pine flooring and I like to have it at 8% when running it then get in in the home asap. before it can climb to 10 so if anything it will grow a tiny tiny amount instead of shrink. 6 % is to low to run wood at.ie. hard on the machine and wood and wood can be ruined if dried below 6%. Wood above 12% can be fuzzy after planing.

Cabnit shops make a big deal about thier wood being 6-8% but its bull. Most don't own a meter or don't use it. The fact that they have open shops means thier wood is at 12-15 % before they are done with it or before they even start the job the wood has been sitting in the shop for a few weeks.. They will tell the customer that complains about shrinkage that it's not thier fault as the wood was not propelry dried before they got it or some other excuse. Fact is they did it with non conditioned shops.

Thank You Sponsors!