iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Crane Job...

Started by DanG, August 01, 2006, 11:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

My arborist buddy Chad, called me to meet him at a job he had to take down a large Red Oak.  Now, he said it was a big tree, so I was expecting to get a nice 30-36 inch log and be on my way.  My old $300 trailer is needing a little work, so I borrowed a 32' gooseneck dual tandem trailer from a friend.  That turned out to be a really good move!

I was running a little late, so this is what I saw when I pulled in.  They had already removed the top of the tree.  The "pole" in front is a palm tree.

Then, Chad whacked off the section with the multiple crotches.  It was a pretty good load for his 16x7' dump trailer.  It woulda been fun to cut up, but I just can't take that on right now.

Now, here come's my stick.  It don't look so bad at this point, does it?

Somehow they seem to get bigger when you get closer. :o

The crane operator estimated the weight at 17,000 lbs.  The log is a bit over 16' long and 58" in diameter.  I took it by my friend's place, where I borrowed the trailer, and he couldn't begin to pick it up with his 15,000lb forklift.  We dumped it off in the edge of his hayfield to await Brdmkr's fall vacation. ;D

Here's a little bit of the grain pattern on the "small" end. ::)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

That's a whopper  8) 8)

You could make flooring for your whole house  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

metalspinner

Awesome! :o :o :o  Nice way to have it loaded, too. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tnlogger

:D glad you didn't take it home the hottiemobile would have a time just rolling that thing off the trailer. ;D
gene

woodbowl

DanG, theres a hole in end of that log! I bet you could stick a 20 ton jack in there and bust in half, then it will fit yer MD.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Gene, the Hootiemobile woulda never got'r done! :D :D  I coulda rolled it off with the tractor, but I can't get that trailer into my yard because of the narrow culvert.  I woulda had to park in front of the driveway and roll it off there.  As it is, the log is parked safely on friendly territory and not bothering anybody, especially my wife! :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

urbanlumberinc

Nice log! Cant wait to see the pictures of the lumber

oakiemac

Dang, your mill can saw that bad boy. My MD has sawed some that big. I would buck that log into 8 footers though. You might need a crane to get it on the mill.
Have fun! ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

farmerdoug

DanG,

Did you guys ever get the red log sawn yet?  If you did how did it turn out?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!