iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs too big for my sawmill (video) UPDATED VIDEO OF SAWING

Started by 123maxbars, June 25, 2017, 08:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

the only complaint about my LT35 is the log size capacity. I wish I could get bigger timber on the mill without having to split it first.
This video shows how I split a 46in diam Red Oak log for my mill yesterday. This log was given to me 2 years ago by a tree service.
I plan on getting it on the mill this week for quarter sawing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhmTqUcvLg
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

Nice vid. I have the same mill and sawed a 8' X 42" diameter WO that fell in SuperStorm sandy. Nearly tore up my ATV and log arch hauling it and by the time I got done I don;t think I got 100 bf out of it because of shake. I trust you will fare much better than I did. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 25, 2017, 08:38:22 PM
  Nice vid. I have the same mill and sawed a 8' X 42" diameter WO that fell in SuperStorm sandy. Nearly tore up my ATV and log arch hauling it and by the time I got done I don;t think I got 100 bf out of it because of shake. I trust you will fare much better than I did. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Hope to have those logs on the sawmill tomorrow.
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

MbfVA

You fellows need a swing blade (circular) mill.  Mine is a Peterson WPF 10",  and it can be set up over up to a 5 foot log.  A bit more kerf & no log handling hydraulics that you can get on some of the wood-mizers (it has 1 electric motor for the up-and-down function of the head; The ASM model will do automatic feed as well, more money and complexity), but blade cost per mbf is a fraction of that for band saws & it will handle those big logs.  If you want to cut nice big slabs, beyond 20 inches wide, you need the "slabber" attachment for your circular mill.  I'm still learning on mine, but it will cut up one heck of a big log, and you can take the mill to the log and "build" the mill over it.  Lucas, Turbo Saw, and a couple of others make circular swing blade mills as well.  So far I have found my Peterson to be extremely well designed & built, using almost all aluminum and stainless steel, but the others have qualities as well.

If you're going to be transporting it to get to those big logs that are not easy to move, take careful assessment of the portability of the mill, and your ability to move it.

It may be because I am new, but I did not understand your comment about shake – did you mean the mill shaking and causing cutting problems?
www.ordinary.com (really)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Nice.  I've often wondered how the Porta Power system would work splittingogs.  Just curious, with the 880 why didn't you rip it with the chainsaw? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: MbfVA on June 26, 2017, 12:22:37 AM
It may be because I am new, but I did not understand your comment about shake – did you mean the mill shaking and causing cutting problems?

MbfVA,

If your glowing comments about the swingblade and slabber attachment include an offer to send me one go right ahead and I will send you a thank you card every time I use it. :D

The shake I was talking about was wind shake or sometimes called ring shake. It is damage in the wood itself caused by high wind and such where the wood tends to separate around the rings. You get a bunch of splinters instead of solid wood when you slice through. Some woods, like Hemlock, are more subject too it that others.

I am sure in this case the very high winds which took town a 42" fork off a 5' white oak twisted the wood around creating the damage.

BTW - very good question. I hope my answer does it justice.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

nativewolf

quite a bit of shake damage is caused by bacterial or other issues (freeze/thaw).  Very hard to detect.  Also called "ring shake", some good research indicates that trees with shake issues often have them before coming down, good article

articlehttps://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_ne267/gtr_ne267_156.pdf
Liking Walnut

jaygtree

i like your videos. thanks for posting them.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Dan_Shade

I once sawed a log where the center of it had completely separated around a growth ring.   The outer part  could have been like a big pipe.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

MbfVA

Hi, WV, come on over to Fluvanna some time & I will demo the swinger.  I was all set to buy band and then learned about the swing mills. Each has its merits of course but finding this cherry used one helped me decide.

Nativewolf'll give you a ride if you meet him somewhere. 8)

Dan, we'd all love photos of that pipe-like tree  Don't set us up for disappointment with that description and leave us hanging for the visuals, you hear?

Strengthens my long held belief that Mother N provides us with the best science "fiction".  She does the best CGI around.  Completely Great for the Imagination.
www.ordinary.com (really)

SawyerBrown

Nice video, 123!  I've had to do the same several times (same mill, LT35), and will again tomorrow ... maybe get some pix too.  That one is only about 38", but (as you say) is too big for the mill.  Did one a couple of weeks ago, we ended up with a TON of nice quartersawn lumber -- got pix of logs (below) but I almost always forget to take some of finished product!   (The halves closest to the street came down that way ...)

How are you going to process it from here?  Quarter first?  (The issue being that there's less than 12"
of "throat", so you can't quarter it on the mill)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

123maxbars

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 26, 2017, 08:38:42 AM
Nice.  I've often wondered how the Porta Power system would work splittingogs.  Just curious, with the 880 why didn't you rip it with the chainsaw?

always wanted to try splitting one this big with a maul/axe etc. a lot of work but it was fun to do.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: SawyerBrown on June 27, 2017, 12:35:55 PM
Nice video, 123!  I've had to do the same several times (same mill, LT35), and will again tomorrow ... maybe get some pix too.  That one is only about 38", but (as you say) is too big for the mill.  Did one a couple of weeks ago, we ended up with a TON of nice quartersawn lumber -- got pix of logs (below) but I almost always forget to take some of finished product!   (The halves closest to the street came down that way ...)

How are you going to process it from here?  Quarter first?  (The issue being that there's less than 12"
of "throat", so you can't quarter it on the mill)

Nice job, those are some good looking logs!!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Good job, Nathan.  I bet a bunch of people never heard of a medullary ray  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: MbfVA on June 26, 2017, 10:48:07 PM
Hi, WV, come on over to Fluvanna some time & I will demo the swinger.  I was all set to buy band and then learned about the swing mills. Each has its merits of course but finding this cherry used one helped me decide.
Nativewolf'll give you a ride if you meet him somewhere. 8)

Thx for the invite. Looks to be about 200 miles from here and I don't know when I might be near there. As mentioned many times in various threads the big thing if I ever went to a big slabber, which I would love, would also include the support equipment to use with such slabs.
Howard Green

fishpharmer

Nathan, you do a great job with your videos and milling.  I was involved with a similar project years ago with FF member @DonK  I haven't seen him on here lately.  Here is my relatively poor quality video in comparison :-[.   We used a bottle jack and my Stihl 880.
https://youtu.be/SAROGhHuZEc

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on June 27, 2017, 10:05:33 PM
I bet a bunch of people never heard of a medullary ray  :D.

I saw one the other day on the Discovery Channel.....but don't think this would fit on my mill without splitting it. 

Good job also, 123, you got it done. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!