iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best drying time, temperature for pecan boards.

Started by richie47, July 24, 2006, 06:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie47

Hello from downunder,

I would appreciate some help from you kiln folk re drying 1" pecan boards, eg what temperature, humidity etc, and whether the boards should be tight in a bundle or racked out with stickers, I believe 3/4" is a good size to use.

Thanks,

richie
richie

getoverit

Pecan isnt too different than Hickory, and from experience I can tell you that you definitely want to sticker it, and make sure the stickers are as close as possible... no further than 18" apart and also make sure that they are lined up one right over the other in the stack. Make sure you have plenty of weight on top of the stack also or the first few layers will curl up like leprechuan shoes.

3/4 inch stickers are fine. As far as humidity and temperature.... My Hickory dried  to 10% in about 4 months. Here in Florida, the temps are usually in the mid to high 90's (F) during the day and humidity is usually really high also. I actually wish it had dried slower.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

richie47

Thanks for that, anything more specific as to temp and humidity settings?

I gather it's what you guys call "butternut".

richie
richie

Paul_H

Is it really possible to air dry down to 10% with high humidity  ???
In my Nyle manual it shows that temps of 95 F and around 55-60 RH will have a EMC of 10%.
The same temp but with a RH of 85 will have a EMC of 17.4%.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Den Socling

I think we have a problem with the word 'high'.  I would consider 55-60% to be high humidity here in PA. Today is very high at 74%. The average for southeastern US is in this area around 60%. However, I have been in areas of Florida in late summer when the humidity was closer to 85% and Paul is right. You can't expect 10% when humidity is this high if you are airdrying. EMC tables can't be altered with air flow.

Richie,
It sounds like you have a kiln. Describe your kiln and I might be able to suggest settings.

richie47

No, no kiln yet but I'm itchin' to build one.
At my site I dont have company power so run my machines [where possible]
on generators; thus my kiln would have to be solar.
This is not a problem as the sun shines pretty regularly out here and the lowest
winter temps [night-time] could be as low as 8 deg Celcius.
The shed is in the middle of an avocado orchard, which may give you a better idea.
No frost at all.
I can buy a container or build a more temporary plastichouse [like a glass-house]
with large doors I can open and seal easily.
I currently air-dry all my stock in the open covered by roofing iron which I buy
2nd hand from a tame plumber.

richie
richie

Den Socling

I'll bite. What's a tame plumber?  :D Something from "Waltzing with Matilda"?  :)

richie47

sorry, Den.....[still laughing..]
gonna have to get you out here on a visit - I can tell.  Say we have this very nice bridge, kinda shaped like a coat-hanger, and very cheap right now....

By 'tame plumber' I simply meant a roof plumber I cultivated so that I could get first access to his old roofing iron.  This was done by going along with his sheet-price and giving bagfuls of organic avocados on pick-up. He has now become a mate and calls me when he has something.  Basically good 'bedside manner' or just being nice to people I guess is what it is.  It certainly doesn't hurt or cost much.

rich
richie

Thank You Sponsors!