iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

edging against the cant

Started by DDW_OR, April 23, 2017, 01:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

I was reading this thread
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,95750.0/all.html
and thought of asking a question but thought i maybe hijacking his thread. so i started this one.

am i correct in my thinking?
log with side A up, then cut 1,2
rotate log Counterclockwise and cut 3,4,5
rotate log Counterclockwise and cut 6,7
rotate log Counterclockwise and cut 8,9,10
rotate log Counterclockwise  - just realized i do not have to rotate  :)
then place slabs from cuts 2,4,5,7,9,10 against cant and then do cut 11 at 1.5 inches

slabs from 1,3,6,8 are scrap = firewood
"let the machines do the work"

WV Sawmiller

DDW,

I start off as you show. I open a face of at least 4" as a 4" wide board is normally the narrowest I save. I toss the slabs you mention as scrap on the scrap heap and all flitches on my loading arms. Once I have the squared cant I cut finished boards using my Simple Set from a predetermined mark on the 4th face. Once I get to a mark below 4" (Normally 3-1/4" if I am sawing 4/4) then I stop and stand some (about half) the flitches against the cant. I edge the 1X6's then put the rest of the flitches to make 1X4s. Then I reset my mark at 3-1/4" and saw the cant to the rails.

If I am cutting a larger log and will have some wider flitches I may stop as soon as I cut below the 6" mark then edge my wider boards then repeat the above to edge my narrow flithes into boards.

Depending on my mood I may even cut some 1X1X? strips for drying strips or tomato stakes.

I hope that answers your questions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

Opposite from above.

I very seldom edge against a cant. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

I think if you are going to edge against a cant it would work better with less handling to put them against the cant only when you intend cuts to make the size desired. IE 1x wide is going to edge different than if you only want 1x4 and 1x6.

I cut a lot of pallet stringers and I used to cut deck boards too. here is a thread  about edging on the mill. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,52752.0.html

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2017, 04:22:18 PM
Opposite from above.

I very seldom edge against a cant.

Me too, I can't remember the last time.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

I don't save up my flitches. I normally edge them against the cant they came off. I used to stack them all  up against my cant as soon as I squared it off then come down in 1" increments. Every time I got a completely clean cut I would flip that flitch. When both sides were square I stacked the finished board. This was time consuming, messy and yielded odd/random size boards. Using my current technique I normally end up with 1-2 sizes of finished boards and only flip each stack one time. If I'm edging 1X6s and I see I i won't get a clean second edge I leave them laying on the beds  and add the rough edge to my second cut on my 1X4s and finish them all together.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I edge as I go unless there are only 2-3, at which time I will wait and add them to the next batch. 

I find that it is not necessarily what is behind the flitches but rather what is between them and the clamp.

Here is a new replacement White Oak "stick" that spans between the two side supports giving the flitches ample support to keep them from bowing when clamped.  It replaced a broken Cherry stick that I had used for several years.  The orange distinguishes it as a tool and prevents it from being discarded.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I don't really think there is a right way but it always helps to re-examine ones methods.  If a step can be eliminated it aids production and more importantly means I do less work (very important).

Normal procedure is to push flitches off the cant into the loader arms.  If I can avoid pushing a flitch off into the loader arms by edging it against the cant I've eliminated two steps....pushing it into the loader arms and bringing it back up.  If I can than use my dragback to bring the edged board with the offcut back I've eliminated maybe half a step.

If I had to lift a board on the mill deck to edge with, that seems like an added step.  Wouldn't work well on a TK as the flitches would be out of easy arms reach for this fat boy.

Than there is a difference in mills.  I think the WM is easier to edge with and I would change some of my procedures if I ran one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

A sawyer needs to be flexible as each log is a little different. I always edge agents a cant as my two plain clamp won't travel all the way to clamp a couple of boards to the uprights. I set boards needing edging aside cut the cant down to about 5" then stack the boards agents it and edge to a standard size. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JD Picket

I'm new to milling but if I'm cutting 1x's I will put the flitches next to the cant and cut stickers so I will have them for later. I cut a lot of 1x's for fence boards.

Chuck White

I always edge against the cant!

The cant will be 5 inches high when I'm going to edge  to 6 inches!

Same goes with all other edging, the cant will be 1 inch lower than where I'm going to edge to!

This way, I don't leave saw marks on top of the cant!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

69bronco

drobertson

All I can and will say is forget the fancy illustrations, saw to your target, until you get an edger, keep it simple. One log, boards, flitches edges, next log, ect...
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

??? ??? ???

Are you saying just saw through and through from the top to the rails then edge the flitches?
Howard Green

Chuck White

For some of us mobile sawyers, an edger isn't feasible or cost-effective!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

i never edge against the cant unless i only have 2 or 3 boards as the clamp wont close up enough to hold that few but i normally have alot of edging piled up and run through the edger but when i edge on the mill for custom sawing i dont use a cant and saw everything before i edge the first board  :) the most i ever had piled up was a little over 14 mbdft   :o after it was edged  ;D the edger guy never let himself get that far behind after again  :D :D :D what he gets for goofing off instead of doing what he was paid for ;)
and also it was pallet stock so i didnt have to worry about stain :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

OlJarhead

I still edge against the cant after each log.  I mill to below what I'm milling (as Chuck does) and then stack them up against the cant, edge and get back to the cant to mill it down.

one thing I also do is edge to usable sizes based on what the customer is using (unless they don't want the flitches edged which does happen).  For example, If I'm making 2x8's and a flitch I can clean up to 11 3/8"  I'll then drop the saw to 7 5/8 and rip the flitch into a 2x8 and a 2x4 at the same time :)  Killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

I find that it all depends on what help I have though.  If alone I don't edge until I have to and set the flitches aside (I like the sawhorse idea but haven't used it yet).  Once I've done everything I can I'll edge the flitches enough at a time that I have plenty to clamp and use the middle side supports to keep them from bowing.  I've also taken to clamping them, releasing them and then clamping again as I find it seems to get them settled better (first clam tends to push them around but when I back off they drop, shift settle better and then I clamp again taking care not to shift them off perpendicular to the deck.  Seems to work for me.

In the end though, I always try to mill flitches to standard sizes the customer might use.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

Many times I give the tail gunner a shaking motion with my fist telling him to shake and settle the flitches down.   I almost always clamp, release, and then re-clamp. 

I also use my stick (a 2X4 or 2X6 laid flat would serve the same purpose) in front which extends the clamping pressure to the side supports, but each of us develop methods and means that achieve our purpose.

Sixacresand

Yesterday, I needed 20 1 x 4's pretty quick out of 24 inch log.  ( this was my only 13 ft log I had close by and needed to make 12 ft boards). So I milled one inch slabs off all sides and set them aside.  Then I moved the cant out the way to the loading arms and put slabs back om the mill and edged them into 1 x 4's.  The edging was done against a 4 x4.  Extra work but seemed to get the hardest part done first.  An edger would have ideal. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!