iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for books

Started by Elevendy, November 18, 2008, 06:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elevendy

Hello there!

I am a forestry engineer from Hungary, and I want to deepen my english knowledge in the field of forestry. I just want to get knowledge of the most common forestry related terms etc. I did a little search on amazon.com, and this book seemed promising.

Any of you can give me some advice of this book or have any recommendations?

Thanks! :)

/If there are any related topics in this subject, please, direct me there/

RynSmith

I'm not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but I find the Dictionary of Forestry by J. Helms to be pretty handy.  It's pricey, though, so you might look into a used copy. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Forestry-John-Helms/dp/0939970732

Woolywolf

That does look like a good read, I think.  Also, I recently checked out a book from my school's library called the Forester's Companion .  It's by a British author, N.D.G. James, about forestry in Britain and a little bit dated, but it has a lot of useful information in it.  Perhaps the species covered in it might be more relevant to Hungary.

Tom

Elevendy,
I like that name.  Elevendy-leven is even better.  that's more than a Thousand. :D

You are lucky in one respect.  Many of us access the The Forestry Products Wood Handbook.  It is a Government publication of rich Wood oriented information.  It a free PDF and can be read on-line.  I use it a lot and even enjoy just reading it.

There are other US Government publications that would deal more specifically with Forestry, I'm just not familiar with them.  I will try to find some though.  Member "Beenthere" has posted the site where they reside, before. Perhaps he will be kind enough to do it again.  You can't beat Free.  :D

We have gotten into some pretty deep conversations with our foresters on the forum too.  You might find some of those old posts entertaining.  :)

SwampDonkey

Is see on the website to Tom's link a hard cover copy can be purchased from Lee Valley. I have not looked at this book or PDF yet, I'm downloading it from Tom's link now. I'm a curious sort and was wondering if it parallels the Forest Resources Series of texts put out in the 1980's by McGraw-Hill publishers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I like the Forestry Handbook put out by the Society of American Foresters.  It covers a wide variety of topics.  Its kind of pricey, but you can get them used for a reasonable price.  There's one for sale at Ebay and its downright cheap. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I got looking down through the preface and it reminds me of the text used in the Wood Products course. It had a yellow and brown cover with a picture of mills lumber on the cover. It was hard covered. I never bought the text and have looked for it since on Amazon. Seems to me it was a $100 book even back 20 years ago.

I also have Ron's recommended book here as well. I think I bought it 18 years ago, second edition.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Elevendy

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look on these books. Most of them are a bit pricey, (except the free pdf one :) ), but i hope, they worth the "investment". Thanks again!

Tom

Don't disappear on us!

We're interested in what kind of library you build. :)

There might be some stuff written here that would be worth your time too.

beenthere

Welcome Elevendy

As Tom mentioned the Wood Handbook ("Wood as an Engineering Material" for present name) and linked it for free pdf use, other publications and searches can be accessed at the Forest Products Lab link.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

One can get easily engrossed in considerable information there, including on-going research results and past publications.
Like many sites with an abundance of information, one can get frustrated as well. So don't hesitate to ask on the Forum here for some possible help.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I downloaded Tom's link yesterday and have skimmed down through the chapters. There is a lot of information to absorb in there. I still see The Wood Technology text being referenced in many of the sections and many others references are 50 years old. It says to me that there was a lot of good research back in the old days.  ;D

Elevendy

I didn't win the auction at Ebay (and Ebay neglected my creditcard too >:( ), ordered the Forestry Handbook from Powells.com for a bit more than the final price of the auction. Until it arrives, I will read the pdf (It's very long!). Of course, i keep reading the forum as well. And thanks for the suggestions! :)

Onthesauk

Elevendy,

And keep posting here also.  Great fun for everyone here to see what goes on in the woods in other parts of the world.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

chainspinrunner

I am a college student at Paul Smith's College of forestry in the Adirondacks and we have a lot of great literature for your needs. If you go to our school website ->    paulsmiths.edu  you can search our library and look around.

Good luck,.
Grose

Thank You Sponsors!